Chapter 43

Chapter 43

-Pax-

Clementine called us around forty-five minutes after they'd left. I think the people in the house were starting to get tired of my constant questions, that's the only reason I know how long it took them. I constantly asked for the time and their opinions on whether or not they could handle it.

"They'll be fine," Iris assured me. "They're strong wolves, and they'll call if they need us."

It did very little to calm my nerves. The day felt ordinary, the sun was out, warming my skin, and we had to do our chores still. Well, I didn't. I did Farley's chores whilst he wasn't there. I even did some of Iris' chores. I had asked if I could do Rowan's, but they wouldn't actually tell me what they were.

Caspian put his hands on my shoulders and pushed me towards a seat. "Your nervousness is making me nervous. Please, just relax," he said. "We can only do so much until the others get back."

It was another half an hour after Clementine called that they actually returned. I waited for any sign of them and bounded towards the door when a car pulled up outside. I waited near the shoebox for the door to open, silently praying that Farley was the first one to come in.

He wasn't, which meant I stood there awkwardly for a few more minutes before diving forward and wrapping my arms around him. "I was so worried," I said, my voice muffled as I buried my head in his neck.

He stumbled back and chuckled. "Hey, missed you too," he said. He placed his hands on my back, pulling me closer. "I'm okay though."

"He won't be after-" Karim was interrupted by someone's hand making contact with his head. "Ow," he said sarcastically.

"I'll go get the first-aid kit," Clementine said.

It was only thanks to that comment that I started to smell blood. The metallic odour made my nose scrunch up. I couldn't see any injuries on Farley, obviously, but he seemed to be losing quite a bit of blood.

"What happened?" I asked with a frown. I led him to the living room and made him sit in the closest free chair, the one next to Iris.

"I think those wolves are very used to stealing kneecaps," Farley responded with a weak chuckle. There must have been some reference there which I didn't understand, as Rowan burst out laughing.

"Did Kelsey get out alright?" Caspian asked as he knelt next to Farley's leg, taking the first-aid kit from Clementine.

"Yeah," she responded. "She was the only one there, but we saw at least four wolves."

"Four?" Caspian asked. "I thought that Kelsey said there were only two people there?"

"They must have gone around the back," Karim commented. "I'd like to take some of their heads off," he muttered afterwards.

"We get it, you like your car," Emi said with a huff. "Stop going on about it."

Karmic continued to grumble but made no other comments on the matter.

"Did she tell you anything else?" Caspian asked.

"She was a bit too frightened," Farley answered. "She didn't talk too much."

I would've thought my chest would be used to the icy cold feeling I got whenever something bad happened, but I felt sorry for Kelsey. It would take a lot to make her go quiet. She was a very talkative person, always looking on the brighter side of things.

I shook my head; my thoughts were making it sound as though she were dead.

"This isn't good," Caspian muttered. "They're not afraid to make a scene. We don't know what they're willing to do."