Chapter 6

Chapter 6

-Farley-

I could still smell the bacon when I woke up the next morning. It was something which irritated me about the cooker, yet on some days it was wonderful. This morning it was torture. My stomach was rumbling before I opened my eyes. Then the buzzing started. I whacked my phone with the palm of my hand in an attempt to shut it up, but I was unsuccessful. I lifted my head from where my face was buried in my pillow and glared at it.

Snoring was still coming from Rowan's bed. Every morning I wake up to see him in a peculiar position. More often than not, he'd have half his body off the bed. This morning he was completely splayed across the bed with his head dangling over the side, mouth wide open.

I rubbed my eyes with a sigh before sitting up. Today I had work. I didn't mind the fact that I had work, my job was enjoyable enough. I got to interact with many members of the public, as long as they were respectful, I didn't have any issues. I work four times a week. It was a long ten hours, but it was what I had to do. I was home-schooled the other three days, but they were a lot more relaxed then the stress of the gym. I was lucky that Caspian saw my work as training, so I didn't have to do much on top of it.

I resisted the urge to fall back into my bed, and walked towards my set of drawers, reaching in to grab the two items of clothing I kept at the front. The pair of black sport shorts and red vest covered in logos was extremely familiar, filling me with a sense of comfort.

I've been going to the gym for three years now. I joined as soon as I could, it was close to where my school used to be, it was a great spot to go with my friends back when I was still attending school. I had gotten to know everyone who worked at the gym, which made it easier to get a job there when I turned sixteen. But none of my friends had been there since. I sometimes felt like they only went to humour me.

I quickly got changed, going to the bathroom and getting washed as well. My morning routine wasn't very intricate. I grabbed my sports bag from where it hung on the bottom of my bed, then headed downstairs.

Iris was sitting in the living room when I came in. She wore dark leggings and an oversized T-shirt. "Good morning, Farley." She had her eyes shut, cupping a cup of tea. She didn't open her eyes to look at me, causing me to shake my head.

"Good morning, Iris," I replied and put my bag down next to her on the light grey settee. "Any plans for today?"

She looked up at me, shifting in her seat slightly. "I've got a literature class today, and I'm thinking of doing more research into the history of medicine." She took a sip from her cup. "I've also got to do some research on how to get stains out of wallpaper."

I winced, my attention turning to the wall. The walls were a soft baby blue, I was unsure of who picked the colour scheme, but it wasn't very practical. Rowan had tripped yesterday and spilled his coffee, making it run down the walls in a very unpleasant shade. The smell was extremely strong, surely leading to a more unsavoury odour later.

"Yeah, maybe something about drying so the smell is not so bad too?" I asked hopefully. She chuckled at me and shook her head.

"Fingers crossed it'll look brand new by the end of the night."

I crossed my fingers before migrating to the kitchen. I got some yoghurt out of the fridge, putting two large tablespoons in a bowl. Then I got some granola, of course that got sprinkled on top. The selection of fruit in the fridge wasn't at all inspiring, so I made a list of what I could pick up on my way home and moved to the cupboards. I immediately reached for the peanut butter and jam, placing some of each on the side. I topped it off with a chopped-up banana, which had to be used that day, judging by the colour and softness.