Chapter 52

Chapter 52

-Farley-

I was angry, frustrated, hurt, and lost. We were stuck in this building for God knows how long. Nobody looked like they were happy with the arrangements. Even Abilene looked ashamed. Her head hadn't risen since we woke up, she didn't meet anyone's eyes.

Four knocks came to the door, and she jumped up, quickly ushering my parents inside. The glare didn't leave my face even when I saw the familiar and loving faces of my family.

"Oh dear, what happened?" my mother asked and cupped my face. "You're as pale as a ghost."

"Yeah, you would be too if you were knocked out and then woke up in a cold abandoned library," I commented with a scowl.

"Knocked out?" my father asked with a frown. "That's not polite."

I wanted to scream at him. Of course, that's not polite, it's the opposite of polite.

"What are we meant to do?" Channon asked my parents. I assumed that they would be the new targets of the teenager's annoyance.

"We can't just sit here for the rest of our miserable-" Channing was interrupted by Lowell.

"You can't say that Channing," he scolded. "We won't be here for the rest of our lives. None of us would allow that, nor would our parents."

"Yeah, but they seemed very happy sending us in here," Channon argued.

"That's going to go on forever if you don't stop it now," Abilene informed them civilly. "Why don't you let this be an opportunity for you all to figure something out which could help us? I know that you have been bursting with ideas which you couldn't share."

"Because we're not allowed at the pack meetings, which makes no sense," Melina mumbled. "Why could Randall go to the meetings when he was seventeen?" She continued, but only got a pat on the hand in response.

"In my opinion, as long as the children are safe, that's the main thing sorted," my father informed. "There's someone there to look after them and they're healthy, away from harm,"

"But our family is probably out there getting killed," I argued. I wrapped my arm around Pax's shoulder. He jumped at the touch but sunk into my arms after a moment. I noticed that he had been very quiet again. "We can't just-"

"You can," my mother interrupted. "You can and you will. Unless you can think of a miracle to fix it."

Pax's shoulders tensed. His lips were set in a frown and his eyebrows were knitted together.

I squeezed his shoulder and kissed his temple. I felt like I had an understanding of the thoughts which went through his mind.

The rest of the time was spent in silence or idle conversation. It was infuriating. Each second irritated me more than the last. I didn't know what my pack was doing, I disagreed with what my alpha was doing, and I couldn't change any of it.

Pax and I stayed in a corner, whispering to each other or just lying there. Nothing could entertain us whilst the thoughts of what was happening outside existed. My parents tried their best to make conversation with everyone else. My mother talked to Abilene and Iris, whilst my father talked with the twins. I would hear the occasional laugh from the twins, reacting to the stories my father would tell them about when he was younger.

"I want to get out of here," Pax muttered. "I want this to end." I felt like there was more to his words than he was saying. I was afraid of whatever else could be connected to those two statements.