Chapter 46

Chapter 46

-Farley-

We had no luck. It was a quiet trip to the forest, save for Caspian occasionally calling for Rowan. The forest hadn't changed since the last time we were here, other than the fact there were a few less flowers blooming. The heat had burnt them all. We received strange glances everywhere we went. Sometimes, it was unclear why. We looked like any other group of people walking along the streets with a purpose, other times, shouting was a very valid reason.

"I can't remember the way," I admitted as we reached the forest line. Capsian opened his mouth, but was interrupted before he could say anything.

"I can," Pax said, raising his free hand. "Just get me to something that stands out. Like a big tree, or a line of some sort."

"Dang, didn't expect that," Emi said. "Got any other talents in ya?"

Pax's cheeks darkened. "Don't ask that until we get there," he said. "This is the same path you brought Rowan and Iris down, right? I know where to go if it is."

I looked around, the trees all looked the same, the path looked the same, everything looked the same. "I hope so."

"Yeah, you'd better," Pax said with a chuckle. "I don't want to get us lost." His cane wasn't very much use on the forest floor, it kept getting stuck every time he moved forward. Despite that, he marched forward, going at a bit of a jog.

"I can't remember the last time I ran through a forest," Emi said with a grin. I wanted to tell her to be quiet, but we still weren't sure if there were enemies in the forest. The possibilities of what could be here, within the same trees, was something I'd prefer not to ponder.

"I've missed it," Pax admitted, seemingly not faltering what-so-ever.

The sound of rushing water hit my ears before the sight of the waterfall came into view. The water rushed as it did the last time we were here. Somehow, it felt strange. Like the concept of it still running whilst Pax wasn't there didn't make sense. I shook my head and wiped my forehead. The heat must be getting to me.

"This is where you guys met?" Emi asked, doing a full 360. "Dang."

"What does that mean?" Pax asked back. "But yes. I liked to come here whenever I could. It's very peaceful."

"Looks it," Emi said with a smile. "It's beautiful, but that bridge doesn't look at all strong enough to hold the two of you."

Caspian snorted.

I opened my mouth to retaliate, but closed it and rushed over to the bridge. "She's right," I said. "The bridge, there's some damage."

"What?" Pax rushed to my side, stumbling over a few branches. He knelt down and pushed gently on the bridge, the wood groaned in a way it hadn't the last time we were here.

"Natural damage?" Caspian asked. "The weather's been very warm, maybe the wood reacted to it?"

Pax shook his head, the slightest of growls escaping. "We've had hotter summers. They did it on purpose."

"At least we know Rowan wouldn't have passed?" Emi offered. "He wouldn't have been able to cross it."

"Unless..." Caspian trailed off. "Oh, I'm going to kill him."

I rolled my eyes. I wish I had a pound for every time he said that.

"What?" Pax asked, turning his head to Caspian.

Caspian didn't reply, but he slid his shorts off after telling Emi to spin around. After she did, he transformed into his wolf and backed up, sprinting towards the waterfall and leaping across it. He barely made it to the other side, scrambling to get to his feet.