Chapter 17

Chapter 17

-Pax-

My heart was going to burst out of my chest and vibrate on the floor so much that it'd cause cracks on the pavement, or at least it felt that way. I had panicked, I could've pretended not to know who the others were, I could've pretended not to know they were there. But instead, I ran away. Running seemed to be the only thing I was good at.

"Why's he running from his alpha?" Rowan asked. "I mean, Caspian can be scary sometimes, but I wouldn't want to run away from him."

"His alpha isn't particularly welcoming," Farley grumbled under his breath. A warm hand rested on my shoulder. "What're you going to do?" he asked me softly.

I shrugged. "Not much I can do, other than sneak back into my room and pretend I've been there the whole time." I was kidding myself. There would be no way of getting back there without getting caught by Kian. He's probably hot on our tail, we shouldn't have stopped.

"You could come back with us?" Iris offered.

My breath got caught in my throat. I wouldn't be able to do that. There's no way I would be able to do that. I was enough trouble as it is for Kian, I didn't know anything about these people. I just know their names.

"I wouldn't argue against it much," Farley said. His hand tightened on my shoulder. "We'd be able to figure everything out, give you a bit of freedom. Introduce you to the world too." His voice reflected the emotions that I felt as he was speaking, hopeful.

I scrunched my eyes shut and sighed. "I don't want to cause more trouble." My foot caught a stone, causing me to trip. I hadn't realised that we were still walking, being too focused on the conversation. "Where are we going?"

"The bus stop," Farley informed. "We're gonna teach you what a bus is. If you'd like to come with us."

I had no choice at this point, there'd be no way for me to get back to the house. I'd be in too much trouble to want to go back. "Alright," I surrendered. "I'll come with you; I didn't really have too much back there." That wasn't a lie, but it was everything I owned.

"You really don't know what a bus is?" Rowan asked with a snicker. "I'm actually better-informed than someone."

"Get used to that around me," I replied awkwardly. "I could make anyone seem well-informed."

"Don't encourage him," Iris joked. "He'll start to think that he's intelligent and gets ideas."

"Hey," Rowan argued. Before anything else could be said, a noise travelled up the road. It was an unfamiliar constant sound. It only quietened when the heat of the sun was blocked from my face.

A hand found my arm and started to pull me forward. "There's a bit of a step here," Iris told me. She was the one gently hanging onto my arm.

I hesitantly raised a foot and nearly jumped when it found a solid surface, it was just like a stair. I stood still as Iris talked to another person. I felt self-conscious all of a sudden. I must look like a complete disaster. The other person asked if I was alright, I nodded shortly with an attempt at a smile.

"He's not been on a bus in a while," Iris told the person. "It's all new to him." I felt like there was some more communication going on which I couldn't hear.

"I'll wait until he's sat down to start the bus then." This was the driver then, that was a little terrifying. I didn't know what I expected from a bus, but it wasn't what I found. Farley had waited for us near the front of the bus. There were quite a few others here, I could hear a phone and at least two conversations. I was put onto a seat by a window, the cool glass made a chill run down my spine. It was easy to tell that it was Farley who sat beside me, from the smell of coffee and mint, along with his height.