Chapter 48

Chapter 48

-Farley-

"Is that the only thing he does?" Yam asked as he stared after Pax.

I snarled at him before running after Pax. I didn't get very far as wolves were soon throwing themselves at me. Ralph's pack scrambled and clawed at the wolves who were on top of me, but a few had landed some scratches. I couldn't say how bad the damage was, but going against more then three wolves wasn't something we practised often.

"Why are you hurting him?" Carme asked, sounding more distressed then she had moments before. "I don't understand."

"He's on their side," the girl with long brown hair explained. I didn't know who she was, but she was one of the four who were in their human forms. "If the black wolves are dead, all our troubles will be gone. We won't have any barriers."

"What barriers do you have now?" Ralph asked. "I go to the human world frequently, what is stopping you from doing that?"

"We have to hide," Yam stated. "We shouldn't have to hide who we are for the comfort of humans."

I snorted.

Yam turned to me. "Wha'ts so funny? Come on, you're so powerful in your wolf form, you can't even go against us." He barked a laugh. "Shift."

I did just that, quickly putting on a pair of shorts. "Okay, for one, you sound like a child." I pointed towards him as I spoke. "Secondly, what does Pax have to do with you shifting into your wolf in front of humans and possibly getting attacked? There aren't many humans who remember us."

"But they exist," Yam emphasises each word. "Didn't you hear me earlier? Or are you deaf? That would make a great partnership, wouldn't it?" He smirked.

I rolled my eyes at his comment, I was somewhat glad that Pax wans't here to hear it.

"Surely those who are able to remember arne't stupid enough to think that killing defenseless wolves would be the solution to anything," Ralph commented. "I've had my fair share of humans doing things for other werewolves, going so far as to poison one of their own. People are unpredictable."

I opened my mouth to tell him that he had contradicted himself, but I decided against it as my brain figured out what he was saying.

In the corner of my eye, I saw two brown-coloured wolves slipping away. The wolves were familiar, but I didn't know exactly who ti was. I crossed my fingers in hopes that it was someone from Ralph's pack.

"How many of you are with this?" Carme asked, using a much smaller voice as she addressed her pack.

One wolf stepped out of the crowd, followed by another, and another. Around thirteen wolves moved from Yam's side to behind Carme, who smiled weakly at them.

"Traitors," Yam hissed. "Oh, who cares? We have Dillion's pack, and we have what remains of Kian's." His posture was proud, his chin in the air.

"So, what? You're going to get all your wolves together to attack?" Carme asked, crossing her arms. "Attack a single, poor wolf?"

"If that's what it takes," the girl with brown hair nodded. "He's not just a single wolf anymore." Her eyes darted over to me.

"I mean, technically, we're dating." I shrugged. I tried to keep the smirk off my face as I knew that wasn't what she meant. "I haven't asked him to be my boyfriend yet though, so technically he's still single."

"Shut up," the brown haired girl demanded. "Yes." She turned her attention back to Carme. "And I hope that you're ready for a battle."

"We will be," Carme said.