Chapter 38

Chapter 38

-Farley-

Pax was anxious. I was anxious too, but Pax wasn't hiding his as much as I was. He had one major breakdown around two weeks ago. It was terrifying to witness. It was as though all the emotions that he had ever experienced had come to the surface and burst out of him.

The situation hadn't improved at all in the last month; we had only gotten better at dealing with it. We created the safe house for Pax, somewhere close but unassuming. The abandoned library a few streets away was the perfect place. It was more than easy to get into the building, nobody had werewolf-proofed the door.

I must admit, it was fun to put together. Though, it was still very run down and uninhabitable. We didn't put a lot in, just took a lot of the old furniture out. It was easy enough to convince any authorities that we were legitimate removal men, thanks to Rowan.

I looked through the hole we had behind the bedframe and scowled. There was a wolf standing patiently in a patch of grass not very far from the building. Their nose was in the air and their eyes wandered.

I backed away and moved over to Pax again. "After this, tomorrow, we're going on a date," I stated.

Pax's breathing halted and he coughed. "What?" he asked. He blinked a few times and rubbed at his cheek.

"A date. I don't know what it'll be, but we're doing it." I nodded and crossed my arms. "The rule of three can still be applied. We can have a double date," I said. It seems like it would be more of a triple date, with the twins having some sibling bonding time. "I'm determined."

Pax laughed breathlessly. "Let's just see how everyone is, alright?"

I reluctantly nodded. It had been a spur-of-the-moment decision, but I know that one way or another, we'll do it. It was also an attempt at distracting ourselves.

There were still no noises outside, just an eerie stillness. The bell that we pulled earlier had ceased after five minutes. Hopefully, it means that someone's on their way. We had created a pretty large email thread full of all the wolf pack's emails. Those of the wolves who were on our side, anyway. Aiden had tried to convince us all to get messenger, but not many wolves were comfortable with that kind of casual communication.

It made sense, but it was annoying. I tried not to be too irritated as it was just a preference for tradition, but a few of us did end up getting a messenger group pulled together.

The issue was, I didn't have my phone on me. I made a mental note to bring that up the next time we have a family meeting. It wouldn't hurt to put an old phone in here.

"Did you see anything?" Pax asked, jarring me out of my thoughts.

"Yes," I answered simply. I didn't know how much the wolf outside could hear. "Can you hear anything?"

Pax nodded and pointed behind him. We were facing each other, so I was facing the direction he was pointing in. "It's getting louder."

I stood up from the chair and crossed my arms. It wouldn't be smart to talk very much now. The issue with being in a building laced with aconite, is that it made me feel sleepy and burnt my nose.

Bangs came from the door. Three, four, two, our secret code. We'd have to change it after today.

I lunged for the wood which covered the door and opened it. Rowan and Iris stumbled inside, Iris' arm around Rowan's neck. There was no sight of the others, so I closed the door again and replaced the wood.

"Are you hurt?" Pax asked as he stood up from the chair he was sitting in. He hadn't brought his cane, so his shoes shuffled across the floor with his lack of confidence. "Where are you hurt?"