Chapter 33

Chapter 33

-Pax-

I didn't have to wait for long before Mary had a few visitors. I would've paced the living room if I was sure I wouldn't bump into anything or knock anything over. I could hear my heart pounding in my ears and my hands became so sweaty I was constantly wiping them on my trousers.

My heart jumped out of my chest when the knock on the door came. My breath hitched and a whine came from the back of my throat. I felt incredibly vulnerable and childish, but I couldn't get around it, I was vulnerable and childish.

"Yes, he's here," Mary confirmed from the passage, I had completely zoned out in panic.

I unnecessarily looked up, only to be engulfed in lavender and sandalwood. "You're okay," Iris said as she hugged me. She was standing and I was sitting, so it was a bit awkward. "What happened?"

"Give him some air Iris," Clementine said from behind her niece. "He looks like he can't afford to lose any." I didn't know what she meant, but it was concerning.

"I-okay," Iris admitted defeat and let me go. "But what happened?"

I could only shake my head with a frown. "I don't know. He went outside and didn't come back, I found his phone and got worried."

The room was feeling claustrophobic now, I couldn't tell how big it was and there were many others here. I could imagine marbles in a tub, the sides closing in on them and causing them to roll over each other.

"It was good that you phoned," Caspian said with a comforting tone. "We were worried too; afraid someone had caught up."

I had been stuck so long in imagining the worst-case scenarios that I had actually forgotten what happened. "Is everyone okay?" I asked, sitting up straighter. My hand tapped my right leg, as though looking for a physical sort of comfort.

"We're fine, they gave up after a few miles," Clementine answered. "We had to split up, but we know this place better than them. We knew where we could go."

That made sense as an advantage. I couldn't imagine Kian using one of those phone map devices or coming into the city.

"Where is he?" Brin's voice broke through the room like a bulldozer. I hadn't heard the door open, but I sure heard it close. "Where's Farley?" His breathing was concerningly heavy.

"He can't be far," Caspian replied. "There's no way that he's not trackable. We just need to know what we're getting into, and we'll get him back."

"Brin, you don't need to barge into people's houses," Lana scolded. Beads clashed against each other rhythmically, the sound of wood colliding was harsh, but calming at the same time.

"She knew that we were coming," Brin retaliated. "What do we need to know?"

"Who took him would help," Rowan answered. It was strange; he was speaking for the first time. He was usually so upbeat and talkative. "How they knew where he could be another."

"Well, if they followed the two of them here, it'd make sense." Iris was now sitting next to me. "They might have waited for a good time to strike, so they didn't expect it."

I nodded. "I couldn't tell if anyone was following us, but it wasn't long...it was just after his phone rang." That was probably why Rowan was quiet.

"They set us up," Clementine said with a gasp. "Oh, I feel stupid now."

"That makes two of us," Caspian commented. "Mary, thank you for helping Pax. Do you mind if we stay here a little longer?"

I opened my mouth in a mute gasp. I had forgotten Mary was here, making blood rush to my cheeks in embarrassment and shame.