Chapter 12

Chapter 12

-Farley-
I don't know why I asked. I regretted the words as soon as they left my mouth. Pax turned to me, his lips still agape. My nails were digging into my arms in a futile attempt to keep me grounded, despite my body naturally wanting to drift away from the embarrassment.

"I was very clear I didn't want to meet you," Pax stated.

I had to admit, I felt a pang in my chest. I liked to talk with people, so hearing something like that always hurt me. "And what about now?" I asked hopefully.

"I don't want to meet you a little less." He shrugged his shoulders. He would look nice in wintry weather, a beanie on his fluffy hair and a scarf around his neck, keeping him warm and cosy, despite some redness on his cheeks.

I shook my head to get the ridiculous thoughts away. "That's progress, I suppose." I kicked a stone out of Pax's way. "So, what do you think about meeting my pack?"

He exhaled through his nose. "Whether I'd like to or not, I wouldn't be able to." He crossed his arms, a frown coating his features.

"You'd be able to," I persisted. "We could find a way, even if you just...go a little outside of the forest. That means that we won't technically be in the forest." I felt like I was belittling him slightly, by explaining that we wouldn't technically be in Kian's territory.

He shook his head and stopped. We had come to the edge of the forest, the road a few feet away. I hadn't seen one car drive down this road, but it wasn't at all evenly paved.

"It's too risky, you've already gotten into trouble." He didn't move. He was a statue turned in my general direction. "You should go."

I didn't move. I didn't want to move. I didn't understand what was so intriguing about this boy that I would put myself in danger to learn more about. He was attractive, incredibly attractive, but that wasn't something I tended to dwell on. Maybe it was the challenge, to knock down his walls and get to know him. I wouldn't put either of those reasons past myself. I'd had crushes before, but those were people I knew well, which made this situation feel strange.

"Farley," Pax said warningly. "Go, before someone comes after us." The words filled me with a sense of excitement and danger. We weren't meant to be doing this, which was stupid, but it made me feel like a protagonist in a Shakespearean play.

"I'll be back, every day you don't have a sign." Pax huffed a laugh, but still didn't move. "I might even bring the pack, who knows?"

"Be sensible, Farley."

I waved to him as I walked backwards. "No promises."

He didn't move as I backed away. I had to turn around approximately twenty feet away from him to see where I was going. I was sure he'd be able to tell if I stopped or moved in the other direction. I moved away from him with a nagging feeling in my stomach. The smell of the forest consumed me, whilst the smell of play-doh, which had been invading my senses for the past half an hour, faded away.

"There he is," Rowan's voice was the first thing I heard when I entered the house. I couldn't see anyone in the living room or kitchen. I furrowed my eyebrows and sighed. Whenever I heard that sentence, I knew that there was something wrong. Or more likely, that Rowan had done something wrong.

What's he done now? I wandered as I stomped up the stairs. I had taken my shoes off at the door, as usual. A ruckus was coming from our room, the closer I got, the bigger the hole in my stomach became.

I opened the door and froze; our entire room was covered in some sort of white foam. I blinked a few times and shut the door again. I covered my face with both hands and groaned.