Chapter 13

Chapter 13

-Pax-

I was stopped by the front door when I returned. I flinched at the hand on my shoulder and stopped with my foot in the air. I had hurried back to the packhouse after the conversation with Farley, in an attempt to reduce the suspicion that Kian already has.

"I know what you're doing," Daphne declared. "I don't know why you're doing it, but I'm not going to let you get away with it."

At least you know what I'm doing, please share. I wanted to be snarky, but I knew that Kian or Finn would be able to hear this conversation if I spoke loudly. "What am I doing?" I raised an eyebrow.

She still hadn't moved her hand from my shoulder, it was starting to become uncomfortable. "You're trying to betray the pack." She sounded so sure of herself, I felt sorry for her. "You're infiltrating the pack with outsiders."

"Outsiders like you?" It was harsher then I meant it to be, but she was starting to become more accusing then I was comfortable with. I pulled my arm out of her grasp and stepped backwards. "Don't forget, you weren't an original member of the pack. You and Alder-"

"-Don't bring Alder into this."

"You and Alder came here for Kian's help, which he provided. If we didn't accept new people when we had to, you wouldn't still be living here." I nodded once and tried to enter the house again, but I was pulled back by a hand wrapped around my wrist.

"Pax, be careful. I'm not afraid to throw you under the bus." There's that word again, 'bus'. I had only ever heard it in this context before meeting Farley. That was why I questioned it, I thought it was something unique to Daphne, as she was the only one who used it. Apparently, I was stupid.

I pulled out of her grip again and darted to the kitchen. I made a sandwich in under three minutes, judging by the noise outside, and headed up to my room to eat it in some peace. I would have training before I went on patrol tonight.

I was going to be training in my wolf form, something I hadn't done before. I nibbled at my sandwich as shouts and growls drifted in through the window. My heart was thumping in my chest, each beat uncomfortable. I felt like I was in danger.

It was my fault for conversing with Farley in the first place. I knew that letting Daphne and Alder into the pack was a massive decision for Kian. The pack's past was something which was barely spoken about, before I and Rosary joined. It was something nobody dared bring up.

I was so distracted with my thoughts; I had nearly started to nibble on my fingers. I groaned and softly kicked my bed. I didn't want to train today. I had just gotten over the fact I wanted to train with them, now I'd rather do anything else. I was still aching from my last training session; this one would involve scratching and biting.

I leant against my windowsill; the bird's tweeting had dulled. The coolness of the window barely touched my back. I breathed in deeply, smelling the fresh pine of the forest. My shoulders relaxed as I rolled my neck.

Then the window shook, and a loud bang pierced my ears. My heart jumped out of my chest, and I leaped away from the window. My breathing quickened, my eyes scrunched, and I cursed. Laughter erupted from outside, mainly Finn's and Cedar's. I rolled my eyes and moved to sit on my bed. I've got about an hour until I was needed. I had been enough entertainment for them today.

I tried to sneak downstairs in order to put my plate in the sink. But as I was walking past the living room door, I was interrupted.

"Ready for this pup?" Cedar asked me from the middle of the living room. "You're gonna get pushed to your limit."