Chapter 54

Chapter 54

-Farley-

Despite my father's old age, he was doing relatively well for someone who had been poisoned by wolf's bane. Actually, it seemed that Rowan was starting to do better as well. It was as though a switch had been flicked. Part of me wondered if it was because Pax wasn't here, but I tried to shake that thought out of my head. Surely, that couldn't be the case. Yet, I didn't know enough about black wolves to know for certain.

Groaning from the other bed caught my attention. Even though there had been a lot of groaning and moaning over the past several hours, this one was different. It was a familiar groaning.

"Rowan," Iris exclaimed, and she jumped to her feet, leaning over her brother with tears already streaming down her face. "Rowan, can you hear me?"

The room became silent, the only noise being the very welcome complaints of the boy lying behind me.

I placed my father's hands on his stomach and then rushed to Rowans' side. I sat on the bed beside him and put my arms around his back when he tried to sit up by himself.

His skin was slightly discoloured, the usual white had a strange hue of green-grey to it which I could only associate with death. His eyes hadn't really opened yet, but the dark circles underneath them were stark.

"I-" he tried to speak, but his voice sounded as though there was no pressure put behind his words. He nearly hit me in the face as he reached his arm up to rub his neck. His eyes then tried to open, failing miserably. The attempt was clear, which only made it more heartbreaking.

"Rowan, it's alright. I'm here with you, Farley's here..." Iris trailed off. "Some of the other pack is here too. We're in the library."

Chaos erupted from my phone, thumping, shouting, and growling. My breath caught in my throat, making me want to cough up my insides. There was something wrong and I hadn't been listening hard enough to figure out what was happening.

"They went into the trees on 'The Pity'-" Channing started, using air quotes around the peculiar name. "-and they were met by Rosary and Cedar. The two of them talked to Pax for a little while before attacking."

I nodded and found myself staring at the ceiling as I prayed Pax would make it out alive. He was a good fighter, I had faith that he would be able to do this. I also worried for Kelsey, who I knew shouldn't have been involved, but it was our best option at the time.

Growls which I didn't recognise reached the phone, too many to be Cedar and Rosary.

"I know who that is," Carme announced with a gasp. Her lips twitched into a smile and fondness reached her eyes. "He'll be alright, I'm sure."

I didn't trust her, but I had no choice in the matter. I could do nothing.

"Rowan, can you hear us?" Iris asked again.

Rowan's hand curled into a fist, but his thumb stayed straight.

"You did not just give us a thumbs up," I said with a laugh escaping my lips with disbelief.

A smile crawled on Rowan's lips too. It seemed that even when he was inches from death, he still found a way to bring humour.

"I think that we should go make sure they're alright," Channon announced. "It's time we start to take care of ourselves. You know, the plan has already failed."

"Abilene's gone," Oran agreed.

"But the people who went to find her were either poisoned or in the middle of a battle," my mother said. Her voice was sharp, and her voice cracked. She hadn't left my father's side since he had returned. Tear tracks stained her face, as well as some make-up that she had been wearing and didn't wash off.