Chapter 60

Chapter 60

-Farley-

I watched the interaction between Pax and Alder with a smile on my face. I thought that I was dreaming at first, but the fact I was still in my wolf form, and that my father was also there, told me otherwise.

It was heartwarming and it also made my heart drop. I didn't know that he was so good with kids, it made me think about the future with him. Yesterday, I was unsure about whether he, or I would have a future. I had been ready to fight to the death for him. That thought both terrified and excited me. I was sure I would do the same for my pack, but Pax hadn't been a member of my pack. I had gotten closer to him then I had anyone else, within only a few months.

"I can tell you're awake," my father said. I couldn't move to look at him, as he had decided to sit behind me. "It hurts to see you like this."

I didn't know what he was expecting me to do. I felt guilty, but there was no reason for me to feel that way. I could've avoided being hurt so badly, if I had sense in that moment. Though, there wasn't a point in looking back and thinking about what I could've done. If I hadn't done what I did, I might not have experienced that moment just now.

"I just want you to know, no matter what happens, we'll stick by you," my father continued. "I can tell that you love him. Only a lovesick fool would do something as stupid as run into a gun."

I whined lowly. I knew he was right, but I didn't appreciate him saying it so bluntly. They were the thoughts that had been plaguing my mind and stopping me from sleeping.

"We approve, so you don't have to worry about us." His seat creaked. I could imagine him leaning back, his hands on his stomach and his eyes closed. "Let's just hope that it's all over."

I didn't know how much sleep I managed to get that night. There wasn't a clock in the room I was inhabiting. There was only me in here, since it was extremely small. I was grateful for the window which let in the first rays of the day's sun. The walls of the room were a deep blue, and I was sat on what seemed to be a fold-up picnic table. There was a desk, the corner of which was trapped under this table, and a chair to the right. My father had decided to occupy that chair, deeming it comfier than the matching picnic chair which Pax soon took.

There was also a bed, which I had really wanted to point out to both my father and Pax. Though, I supposed that this was werewolf territory. It wasn't polite to go where you weren't invited to tread, or touch what you hadn't been given permission to touch.

"Good morning," the doctor told me as she entered. Her greeting wasn't pleasant, the grimace on her face when she saw me made me choke on air. "How are you feeling?"

I huffed a little and tilted my head. My leg was a mix between numb and painful.

Pax and Alder were still sleeping in the chair in front of me. Pax had snaked both of his arms around Alder and held him close. When I heard about Pax bleeding, and saw the blood which stained the bandages the night before, I wanted to jump off the table and yell at him to lie down, but I had neither the strength or heart to do that.

"I suppose I have some good news for you today then," the doctor said hesitantly. "We are going to work on getting you back into your human form today."

I sent her a strange look. Wolves weren't meant to change back to their human forms whilst severely injured. My eyes darted over to Pax as that thought entered my mind. He had been in his wolf form the last time I had seen him. Did I miss something?