Chapter 14

Chapter 14

-Farley-

It had been a month, a month of going into the forest and not running into Pax. I didn't run into anyone in the forest anymore. There still wasn't a sign, but I think I would've preferred it if there was one. Iris and Rowan's science projects were over, thankfully. I went to work for three days a week and went along my regularly scheduled life.

I was bored. I wasn't meeting anyone new, the thought of Pax still hovered in the back of my mind. It taunted me, just like the pictures of my friends on my bedroom wall.

One good thing came from my adventures into the forest. I found a lovely new spot by a waterfall. A small bridge connected two pieces of land across a magnificent stream, or river, I'm not sure of the terms. It was one of the most beautiful landscapes I had ever seen.

I leant against the very thin piece of wood which acted like a handrail on the incredibly old bridge. I could fall into the river at any time, all it took was some sort of disturbance and this plank of wood would snap, sending me headfirst into the water below. I wasn't really afraid of falling into the water, I'd probably be able to get straight back up, if I was expecting it.

I had my camera in my hands, it was just a cheap and simple one, the surface was scuffed from where it had hit walls, and one of the buttons was a bit difficult to push. I'd had it since I was around thirteen. I liked taking pictures of the waterfall. Since spending more and more time here, I realised that it never quite looked the same. The sun would reflect off the water differently, sometimes there's wildlife in the water, sometimes there was even some company on the bridge. There wasn't a day which was the same here.

I lifted the camera to my eye, the only way to figure out if the picture was going to be any good or not was to close the other one. I held my breath, an attempt to stop my hands from shaking. I pressed my finger firmly on the button, a satisfying click emitting front eh device.

My shoulders relaxed and I finally exhaled. I pressed the 'Gallery' button, but a rustle in the bushes behind me caught my attention. I pushed myself off the wood and carefully inspected the bushes. They were shaking due to the disturbance, but the cause of the disturbance was unclear.

A person burst through the bushes, breathing heavily. It was Pax. I stumbled backwards in shock. After three months of coming here and not seeing him, I wasn't expecting to see him today.

"Pax?" I asked. "Are you alright?"

His shoulders tensed; he whipped his head around. "Who?" He walked backwards, backing up into a tree.

"It's Farley." I moved towards him, stopping as he stepped back again. "Are you alright?" I repeated.

Pax shook his head, his shoulders not relaxing. "What're you doing here?" His tone was harsh and accusing. "You're not allowed here."

"There's no-"

"-sign. I know." He rolled his eyes at me. "How long have you known about this place?" He gestured to the rushing water.

"About a week and a half?" I scratched the back of my head. "You didn't answer my question," I pointed out.

He shrugged. "I guess I'm okay. I'm a bit achy and have been feeling claustrophobic, but I'm okay." The way he spoke reminded me of those incredibly sad videos on YouTube which blended all the sad points of television shows together.

"That doesn't sound okay," I told him and rested back on the bridge. "Have you been on holiday or something?"

He looked at me for a moment before bursting out laughing, clutching his stomach. Tears started to leak from his eyes. "Holiday?" He lent on the hand railing for support. "There's no way I'd consider that a holiday. Hell, I barely understand what that means. Why would someone have to take time out of their lives? Surely, it wouldn't do them any good. I suppose getting to know the rest of the world, yes. That's the only reason I could think of going on a holiday."