Agitated

Bubbles don't pop, right?

Just five weeks after our double proposal, Leah and I were content in our own little bubble. We let the rumours of our engagement take over the internet, refusing to comment until we felt the need to.

Leah's visits to camp were always difficult for us, not because we weren't strong but because we hated having to sleep apart from one another. As always, Amanda had taken Leah to camp, and despite our engagement, we had kept that tradition firmly in place. Leah and I spoke as often as we could, ensuring we had time for a quick phone call every night before bed. She would text when she could, mostly during her lunch break, but on days I was in court, she was back on the training pitch before I had a chance to reply. Of course it was difficult, being just down the road but unable to see each other, but we knew that it was temporary.

The office had been busier; we were still not where we wanted to be, but we were well on our way. On the day that would forever change the dynamic of the connection between Leah and me, I was in back-to-back meetings. The first was at 9:15 a.m. and ended just as Paula arrived at 9:45 a.m. I had a few seconds in between to check my phone, smiling as I read a text from Leah.

Leah
I miss you, 6 more days. Have a good day x

As I walked the client to the door after the meeting, I could see Paula giving me eyes across the office. As soon as Miss McMillan left, I turned to Paula, whose eyes softened as she spoke.

"Leah called and asked if I could get you to call her back. I tried to tell her I would put her straight through, but it was a resounding no."
"Did she say why she was calling?" I asked, my mind beginning to race.
"No, she didn't sound herself, though."
"Thanks P."

I hurried back into my office, closing the door behind me and racing to my phone. I had multiple missed calls from both Leah and Amanda, and several texts from Leah too.

Leah
Are you free?

Leah
Sorry, I thought I'd try calling anyway.

Leah
Call me when you're done, babe

Leah
Don't shout at Paula, I told her not to disturb you.

I laughed slightly at the last message. Leah was extremely fond of Paula. I quickly hit the call button, my heart pounding as I feared the worst.

"Hi Soph." Leah sighed.
"What's wrong, Le? Sorry, my client has just left."
"I'm injured."
"Where? How bad? Where are you?"
"My foot—they aren't sure how bad yet. I'm still at camp, but I'm out. Definitely out."

I could hear Leah wincing in pain, her soft voice making my heart ache. Leah hadn't had it easy with injuries, her biggest downfall was that she just pushed herself that little bit too much.

"Are you staying at camp? What do you think it is? Is it broken?" I asked, knowing that she didn't know herself.
"No, I'm coming home. I really don't know; I have to go see the medical team at Arsenal."
"I'm so sorry, Le. We will get through this together, okay?" I sighed.
"I know. I've got to go, but will you be home for dinner?"
"Is your mum picking you up?"
"Yeah."
"Text me when you're with her, and I'll come straight home."
"You don't have -"
"I want to." I interrupted her.

We spoke for another few minutes before my next client arrived, and I asked Paula to cancel any other commitments I had for the rest of the day. I knew that I shouldn't, starting a new business requires reliability, but Leah needed me. Even if she didn't say it.

Shortly before 2 p.m., Leah sent a text to say she was on her way home. I left right away, making the short trip to our house but arriving after Amanda and Leah. As I opened the door, I was greeted with Leah hobbling to the kitchen on crutches, a huge boot that came up to her knee. The sight was enough to make me feel sick, my eyes wanting to cry but my mind knowing that I couldn't.