Lights On

⚠️ Mention of a case that contains abuse!! ⚠️

———————

"When I first met Sophie Kelly, I thought she was a bit of a nightmare. She arrived one minute before nine o'clock every morning, knocked water over her keyboard more times than she will care to admit, and brought her niece to the office for a meeting because her brother had to work. She would say admin just isn't for me; I know what I'm capable of in a courtroom, but you don't because you won't put me there.
As someone responsible for ensuring the justice of clients, taking risks wasn't something I did very often, especially not in the courtroom. I refrained from allowing her to do more than filing, accounts, and information gathering for a further six months.
I will never forget the day, a colleague of Sophie's called in sick; we had four court cases but three solicitors. Well, and Sophie. Our client, a woman named Julie Prett, who insisted I use her name tonight when I asked for permission to share her story, had spent time in custody for an attack on her husband. She was a recovered alcoholic who had been sacked from almost every job that she had ever had, and we saw little chance of a not guilty verdict. Julie saw little chance of this too, refusing to tell any of us what had really happened that night. It was a case that I felt we had already lost, so I took Sophie Kelly to meet with Julie that morning for court.
Sophie gave Julie something she had never had: hope. She told her that she wanted to help her; she wanted to ensure that if Julie had suffered at the hands of her husband, she wouldn't suffer any further by spending time behind bars. In that moment, something changed in Julie—she calmed, she smiled, and she believed. She believed in her right to justice. It was her time to tell her story.
On June 16th of that year, Ryan Upton was charged by police with 17 counts of assault and Section 20 grievous bodily harm, a monumental result for our company and Julie. He had been abusing Julie for almost four years in their Portrush home, mentally torturing her to the point that she believed it was her own fault.
Sophie's kind eyes, listening ears, and selfless heart that day helped a domestic abuse victim speak out. It helped a victim feel like they were worthy of freedom.
It was on that day that I realised that Sophie was so much more than a solicitor. She didn't do it for the money, the power, or the status. Sophie genuinely believed in justice. Justice for the innocent, punishment for the guilty. It was on that day that I realised that Sophie Kelly would one day be the type of solicitor that true believers in justice would want to be.
That's why it is an honour and my privilege to present this award. UK Law Associations award for UK Law Firm of the Year goes to my dear friend, my biggest risk, and my daughter's inspiration, Sophie Kelly, Senior Partner of Kelly & Co."

Tears blurred my vision as I listened to a roar of applause ripple through the O2. Without releasing my grip on Leah's hand, I took to my feet before pulling her towards me. A professional event meant that I could only receive a kiss on the cheek from Leah, but that didn't stop the butterflies from erupting in my stomach as she whispered, I'm so proud of you, Soph in my ear. I convinced a reluctant Amanda to follow me to the stage, wanting this to be her moment too. After all, this would have been impossible without her.

"Thank you—and thank you, Liam, for those lovely words and reminding everyone that I have terrible timekeeping skills.
As a young woman growing up in a country divided by conflict, I found a passion for justice—a passion for freeing the innocent and punishing the guilty.
As many of you know, we don't always get it right. That moment when you realise that you have been misled, lied to, or taken advantage of is a moment that makes you question if you are really any good at all. It is important that, at that point, we keep going. Keep fighting for justice.
I want to thank several people tonight. To Liam for taking a chance on me and for all of the new keyboards. To Paula, my admin whiz kid, who is now training to become a fully qualified solicitor. To my mum, dad, and brother who supported my journey to qualification, even when the road became long and tiring. To my fiancé, Leah, whom I could talk about for hours, her unconditional love and support made this leap of faith less terrifying.
And to this wonderful, selfless, and absolutely incredible woman beside me: Amanda, at a time when I had lost all belief in myself, you believed in me enough for both of us. Without you, not just in terms of investment but in terms of support, encouragement, and love, we wouldn't have a company, and we wouldn't be standing here tonight. Thank you."

Amanda and I exited the stage to the right, stopping to smile for photographers as I placed the award in her hands. This was a moment for her to know that it was our firm, not just mine.

As the awards ceremony came to a close, we took to the dance floor of the after party as a trio and danced until our feet became too sore to stand any longer. I noticed how Leah watched on in awe of the relationship that I had with her mother, how she proudly recorded videos as we sang to one another, and how she still looked at my engagement ring with that we made it look in her eyes. The car was booked for 2 a.m., giving us time to say our goodbyes to the crowded room before we dropped Amanda off and continued on to our home.

Leah and I got ready for bed as soon as we got through the door, both exhausted from hours of dancing. We climbed into bed together, my head finding Leah's chest as she reached over to turn the lamp off. We talked for a while, mostly about wedding venues and first dance choices, our brains less tired than our bodies. Just as I was about to drift off, I felt Leah let out a large breath and jolt to turn the light back on.

"I need to tell you something, Soph." She blurred out.
"So you turned the light on?" I asked, confused, as she preferred to talk with the lights off.
"Yes. I need you to see my eyes as I tell you something I should've told you a long time ago. So you know it's true." Leah was a woman on a mission.
"Okay?"

We both sat up, before Leah wrapped me in her arms and placed me on her lap. I placed my legs on either side of hers as she moved her hands to cup my face, her eyes not breaking contact with mine.

"Colin Coyle." She began.

Fuck. Is she doubting me again?

"What about him?" I sighed, looking down slightly.
"Hey, look at me, babe." She moved my head back up, forcing my eyes to meet hers again.
"I know you still carry that around with you. I know that is still in your head with every case you take on. I also know that he was a very sick, twisted, and selfish man. He played on the kindness, selflessness, and dedication that you showed him. I need you to know that I know that. No matter what I said in anger or what anyone else said about you at that time, I am so proud of you for putting him behind bars. So proud, Soph." She placed a gentle kiss on my lips before bringing her eyes back to mine.
"I've waited so long to hear you say that, Le." I smiled.
"I've waited so long to say it."
"Why didn't you?"
"I didn't want to bring it up; I didn't want to make you feel uncomfortable or unsafe again."
"Throughout all of this—the arguments, the drama, the heartbreak—your arms have been the ones I have felt most comfortable and most safe in, Le. You never need to worry about that."
"I'm so proud of you, Soph. Have I told you that?" She chuckled.
"Every day, but I could listen to you say it over and over again."
"I'm so proud of you, Soph." She repeated.

And just like that, Colin Coyle no longer lived rent-free in my head. Leah had fixed another broken part of me.