Keeping a Secret

"I'll stop blabbering on now, but please raise a glass to Jacob, Europe's very own footballing sensation!"
"To Jacob!" The room said together.

Leah had purposely set two non-alcoholic wines to the side, passing me one of them for the toast. I lifted my glass to my lips, taking a swig of the drink and discreetly letting it fall back into the glass.

"Leah." I whispered.
"Yeah, Soph?"
"Wrong glass." I mouthed.

Leah's face dropped, and her protective arm that was dropped around my waist squeezed more tightly as she snatched the glass from my hand.

"Fucking hell, Leah. You almost took her hand off." Jacob chuckled.
"I - she - ugh." Leah scoffed.
"She's sick listening to me complain about this wine. I specifically told her to get me an Austrian."
"I'd take your hand off too if you were being that fussy." Jacob chuckled.

Leah shook her head, leading me into the kitchen, which had been emptied of people for Amanda's speech.

"Le, you really need to chill." I chuckled.
"How can I? How do I do that? What if you hadn't realised? How could I be so stupid and give you the wrong glass?" She ranted.
"Le." I whispered, pulling her close to me.
"I'm sorry; I'm doing it again, aren't I?"
"Yes, but I kind of like it. This whole macho thing you have going on—it's hot."

She chuckled, rolling her eyes at my statement, before we rejoined the rest of the group.

The rest of the night passed without incident until Alex sat on the sofa, squeezing herself in between us and moving her eye contact from one of us to the other.

"What?" Leah chuckled.
"How far gone?"
"Huh?"
"Oh, come off it, the non-alcoholic wine?"
"How'd you know?" Leah scrunched her face up.
"Well, I saw Sophie spit her wine back into her glass earlier, and then I watched your face drop when she said something to you straight after. So I followed you into the kitchen and saw your stash of non-alcoholic wine in your bag. Plus, I did actually witness you cushion her stomach when you were trying to get through everyone, Leah. You aren't very discreet." She chuckled.
"I'm trying to be." Leah sighed.
"How far along? Does anyone know?" Alex whispered.
"11 weeks, and no. Not yet." I chimed in.
"I knew it! Champions League final!"
"I wish I'd known then. Would've explained that I wasn't actually dying." I chuckled.

Amanda appeared beside us, stopping the conversation in its tracks.

"What're you three whispering about?"
"Nothing." Leah practically shouted.
"Well, now I know it's something." Amanda chuckled.
"Leah, you are awful at keeping secrets. I'm going on a date, Amanda." Thank god for Alex.
"Tell me everything!"
"On that note, Soph and I are heading home. Thanks, Mum. Tonight's been fab."
"Hm? Oh, get home safe!" Amanda waved us off, more interested in Alex's made-up date.

It wasn't until six days later that Leah and I found ourselves in the maternity unit of the hospital, clutching at her hand and watching as her leg bounced up and down from the floor. A friendly midwife called us into a side room; her words of warning did not prepare me for just how cold the jelly would be. Leah's hand didn't leave mine, not for one second, and her eyes were already glazing over before the woman had begun the actual scan.

"First baby?"
"Yeah." I smiled. Leah's other hand was now wrapping around our interlocked hands.
"Exciting times, huh?"
"Yeah. We can't wait." I chuckled.
"Right, let's see if we can find this little one."

She poked and prodded at my stomach for a few seconds before that perfect little sound filled the room. Leah jumped to her feet the second the heartbeat could be heard, pressing a kiss to my forehead, a tear falling just above my eyebrow.