Temptation

A few weeks after my drunken night out, Leah was attending the GQ Awards, an event that was now live on TV for all to watch. She'd spent the last week trying to perfect her outfit, juggling life with the planning that went into these kinds of things; it wasn't just about turning up.

"I won't be late home, Soph. I'm only down the road if you need me." Leah smiled, pressing a kiss to my lips as she gathered her stuff together.
"I think after my night out, you deserve a night too." I chuckled.

Leah stopped briefly, taking my cheeks into her hands and piercing through me with her eyes.

"You know she's going to be there, yes?"
"Yes. You've told me. She's flirty; you have to go along with it. You've said it once or twice." I chuckled.
"I'll be hating every second of it."
"I know, Le. It's just part of the show." I smiled.
"I love you."
"I love you, but you're going to be late. Go!"

Leah had told me multiple times that a particular interviewer would be there. She was worried about the way she would act with her and worried that I might take it seriously, despite me repeatedly telling her it would be fine. What I hadn't prepared for was how it would actually make me feel.

"Look - it's mummy!" I pointed towards the TV.
"Mama." Teddy giggled.
"Doesn't she look beautiful?" I chimed.

As the interview began, I found myself staring at Leah rather than the person interviewing her. Her suit hugged her in all the right places, unbuttoned to the third button, and her hair fell just over the shoulders of her jacket.

But then I started actually listening to the words. A surge of jealousy flowed through my veins as I watched the interaction: how Leah was licking her lips as they spoke, running her hand through her hair, and smiling brightly at the slender woman speaking to her.

"Yeah, I mean, interviews are usually pretty standard, but this one has been anything but."

I think it's been pretty standard, to be honest. Maybe even boring.

"So I've been the best you've had?" The interviewer asked.

I swear to god, Leah. Say no.

"Ha! I feel like that has a double meaning."

It did, Leah.

"Well, not yet, it doesn't." The woman smirked.

She told you it would be like this, Sophie.

"Ha!" Leah laughed awkwardly.
"So, anyway, where were we? Oh yes! Favourite food?"

Pizza. You'd know that if you'd ever had a chance with her. Which you don't.

"Eh - probably a pizza."

Told you. Her wife knows best.

"Pizza?"

Are you deaf?

"Yeah - it's quick and easy."

Well, when you don't get distracted in the bedroom with me and burn it.

"Chicken nuggets?"

She literally just said pizza.

"No - I - I - I like chicken nuggets!"

No, you don't.

"I like chicken nuggets."

You like my wife.

"Are you asking me on a date?"

Oh my god.

I reached for the remote, violently flicking through the channels to find something better to watch. The distraction technique didn't work, though, and after putting Teddy to bed, I found myself searching social media to see what they'd said about that interview.