Escaping

Arriving at the hospital felt like no other feeling I had felt before. I was scared, but I couldn't show it because for every ounce of fear I felt, Leah probably felt double that, if not more. We were shown to a private room and told that her vitals would be checked for a few hours before she was taken into surgery. Leah shifted about in the bed, pulled her phone out and then put it away, lifted a book and then set it down; she couldn't find anything that she was able to concentrate on. Her fingers tapped on the plastic guard that covered the sides of the bed until I placed my hand on top of hers. Her eyes met mine, a half smile forming but no words being spoken by her.

"I've got you, you know that?" I whispered.
"I know that. That's the only thing I know right now." She mumbled.
"God, my back is sore."
"It is?" Leah raised an eyebrow.
"Very. If only I had a bed I could get into." I smirked.

Leah moved herself to the side of the bed, her half-smile growing to fully fill her face. She chuckled softly before she spoke again.

"You could've just asked if you could cuddle me, you know."
"I know, but then I wouldn't have made you laugh, would I?"
"You're too good." She chuckled.

We lay there for another hour before the nurses arrived to bring Leah through. Her grip on me tightened as she walked into the room, the oldest of the nurses recognising her anxiousness right away.

"Want us to give you a minute or two together?" She smiled.
"Yes please." Leah nodded.

As the nurses left the room, Leah's eyes visibly filled with tears, her hands shaking as they gripped onto my top.

"I'm going to be right here, okay? I won't leave this room; I'll be right here when you wake up. I promise, Le."
"You promise?" She whimpered.
"I promise. And then, when you're better -"
"Yeah?" Leah said, eagerly wanting me to finish my sentence.
"We're getting married." I smiled, resting my forehead against hers.
"Say it again."
"We're getting married." I whispered, pecking her lips.
"And?"
"And I love you. So much." I pecked her lips again.
"I love you, Soph. I'm ready."

— — — —

Two weeks after Leah's surgery, we travelled to a secluded little cottage just off the coast. We spent our first day taking little walks around the nature that surrounded us, with Buddy consistently chasing every toy that we threw at him. Leah's body had been through a lot, meaning we couldn't go far, and she got tired after a short period of time. We were happy, though; all we wanted to do was enjoy our time together. By the time we got back, Leah had plumped herself on the sofa, playfully demanding that I get logs for the fire. I think she expected me to protest, but I wanted nothing more than to look after her. I pulled a throw around her before heading outside to collect the logs that were stored just outside the back door.

"Your phone, Soph!"
"Who is it?" I shouted.
"Liv."
"She's going to want to talk to you anyway, not me." I chuckled as I entered the room.

Leah answered FaceTime as I sat on the sofa beside her, a beaming smile crossing her face at the sight of Liv.

"Hello you!"
"Hi, Auntie Leah, hi, Auntie Sophie."
"Calling because you missed me?" I joked.
"Kinda. I wanted to see how Leah was."
"You know who's best, Liv." Leah smirked.
"Are you okay? Dad says you're fine, but he always says that to me when I'm worried."
"I am fine, Liv. I promise. I feel so much better, and your auntie Sophie has taken me on holiday, so I'm even better!"
"Are you in Spain?" Liv smiled.
"No, we're still in England." I chuckled.
"That's cheating, Auntie Sophie." She thinned her eyes.
"She isn't allowed to fly, so I had to do my best with little to go off." I protested.
"Oh."
"What's wrong?" Leah asked, concern in her voice at the deflated sound of Liv's tone.
"I thought you might come to see me soon."
"Aw, Liv, I can't for another few weeks until I'm allowed to fly again. Why don't you come to us? We could meet you at the airport like last time? We miss you."
"It's okay if you're sick -"
"I'm never too sick to see my favourite person." Leah smiled, a reassuring tone in her voice.
"Liv - bed!" Rhys could be heard shouting in the background, oblivious to the fact that she was on the phone with us.
"Got to go. Bye. See you next week." Liv said quickly, cutting the call.