Festivities

With not long to go until the Christmas period, Leah and I had gotten used to the idea that we wouldn't be bringing Teddy home in time for Christmas. We had watched as the Christmas decorations were put up around the hospital corridors, each day reminding us how close we had come to spending Christmas with our loved ones rather than in the hospital.

Those negative moments were overshadowed by something much more positive: him. We watched day by day as other parents began the long road that we were coming to the end of, trying to offer kind words where we could but knowing that no words were enough. This time last year, we never would've imagined that our journey would take this detour, but this time a few months ago, we never could have imagined that we'd be going home with him. I guess you could call it bittersweet.

On December 23, the doctor appeared alongside a nurse, and for a moment, our hearts stopped beating. The last time this had happened, we were told that there was a strong possibility that he wouldn't get better, and in that moment, we truly believed that we were about to be hit with another piece of bad news. As always, we sat side by side, knowing that whatever this was, we would deal with it together.

"Quick chat?" The doctor said, his facial expressions giving nothing away.
"Course."
"I want to start by asking how you both feel Teddy has progressed in the last few days."
"He's been feeding well; he's definitely getting better too." Leah said, stress lining her voice.
"And you, Sophie?"
"To us, he definitely seems like a normal baby now; he just wants food, sleep, and cuddles." I chuckled nervously.
"And how do you two feel you are coping with him?"

Huh?

"Good." We both said in unison, with a little defensiveness in our tones.
"If we weren't here, would you know what to do?"
"Yes." Again, we spoke in unison.
"Great. How do you feel about taking him home tomorrow?" The doctor finally smiled.

Butterflies.

"For real?" Leah asked.
"For real." The doctor repeated.
"That would be amazing."
"Yeah - really amazing." I added.
"We will provide you with everything you need, and of course we will still be just a call away. It is important that if he stops feeding or has any digestive issues, you notice anything with his breathing, or anything that just seems a bit off, you call us right away."
"Of course."
"We would expect that he will struggle to adapt. He may be a little unsettled for the first few days, but this has become his safe place, so to speak."
"Yeah. We understand."
"He may not sleep as well; he might be an hour out or so on feeding times; that should settle within a few days. If it doesn't, obviously call us."
"Yeah."
"We run a home midwifery visit programme; she will attend your home twice a week at first. I like to make parents aware of that upfront, as some think we are there a lot because we think they're doing something wrong."
"No, that's understandable."
"Any further questions?"
"Not right now, no." I smiled.
"No problem; we'll speak before you leave tomorrow, so if you think of anything, just let us know."
"Thank you."
"Thank you so much." Leah added.

Amanda POV

There had been many times in my life when I thought things didn't get much better than this, but that phone call was better than all of those moments combined. As Leah's name flashed on my phone that day, I had expected it to be another call checking in or that there was something that they needed me to bring to them.

"He's coming home, mum. He's coming home tomorrow."

The cracking of her voice let me know that she was as overwhelmed as I felt, but Sophie's voice in the background comforting her seemed to ground both of us.

This moment had been building for so long that, at times, it had been questionable whether it would ever come at all. In this moment, it was hard not to think back to the events of that night—the night all of this began.