Wait, Please

Memory after memory flashed through my head in the few seconds after Leah spoke. I thought of the arguments, the time apart, the business, the engagement, and the false hope. None of that was enough to make me say no, though. My family. That was the problem here. My mum, my dad, Rhys, and Olivia. They had all watched me fall apart when Leah and I ended, and they helped put me back together. They had been vocal about their worry that Leah would break my heart and that she would find herself unable to be the person for me again in the future. We hadn't spoken of it in a while; why hadn't I spoken to them about it recently? How do they feel now? Am I slapping the people who have loved me for almost 30 years in the face if I say yes to the girl who has loved me for a much shorter time?

"Auntie Sophie?" I heard Liv call out.
"Maybe we should leave you two alone for a while. We'll be at the restaurant, if you want to join us, that is." Amanda was the voice of reason, as always.
"Thanks Mum." Leah spoke quietly as she stood to her feet.

I still didn't speak; I was numb from my head to my toes, and I couldn't remember how to communicate in any other way than to squeeze Leah's hands. In the most loving way, Leah rubbed her thumbs over my wrists; without words, she was telling me it's okay, I get it. Every part of my brain was working overtime to get the words to come out—to say something, anything. I took one last deep breath in as I heard the door open.

"Wait guys. Please wait."

Silently, everyone turned to face Leah and me. Leah's face was smiling, but it was more than obvious that she wanted to cry. I was about to make her cry, and it was something I hated to do.

"Of course I'll marry you, you idiot."

Leah let out the breath she had been holding in, as did the rest of the room. A loud cheer and heckles of finally she speaks and shouldn't keep a lady waiting were shouted from the doorway; we didn't care though. I was in Leah's arms, lips pressed firmly against hers, tasting her salty tears, happy tears. As she pulled away from the kiss, a simple whisper immediately brought that hearty laugh back.

"3-3." I smirked.
"Are there any lengths you won't go to in order to win this game?"
"Quitters never win." I quoted.
"And winners never quit, Soph." She chuckled.
"I love you, Le. I'm sorry I took so long."
"I said I would wait forever, didn't I?"
"You did."
"Then you have no need to apologise, because I would've waited forever."

A restaurant that I thought had been booked for our relaunch had actually been booked for an engagement celebration once I finally said yes. As everyone else was engaged in conversation, Leah pulled me onto her lap, her eyes reverting back to the ring on my finger without her being able to prevent it.

"If it's too soon, Soph, I'd get it, you know that? Nothing would change between us. I would love you just as much, I would hold you just as tight, and I would still want everything with you."
"It's not too soon. It was perfect. You're perfect. I just panicked. About them." I nodded in the direction of my own family.
"I knew you would. That was why I wanted to do it when they were here. I wanted them to know how I felt and how sorry I am for what I put you through before."
"What we put each other through, Le. It wasn't just you."
"I love you, Sophie. I love them because they're a part of you. When I asked them, they told me they loved me because I was a part of you. I would never have done it before I checked that they wouldn't be worried about you. Not ever."

Of course she wouldn't; why would I think she would?

"You asked them?" I smiled.
"Of course I did. Someday, when we're their age, I would want someone to ask us before they propose to our son or daughter."
"It feels really good to hear you say that. I wasn't sure you'd still want that."
"I want everything with you, Soph. Every single part of it."
"Even the part when I make it 4-3?" I smirked.
"Even the part when you make it 4-3."
"Wow, you really are in love tonight. I didn't think you'd agree." I chuckled.
"I really am."