Cunning Plan

It became clear over the next few weeks that we weren't going to get anywhere without meeting with Colin. I didn't once force Leah into the decision; if anything, I refrained from even bringing it up as an option. Eventually, she suggested that it might do more good than harm, and that's how I found myself walking into a prison meeting room that day.

They had him handcuffed to the desk, the same way they kept most vicious criminals when legal members came to speak with them. He was bigger now, clearly taking advantage of the prison gym to make sure he came off as intimidating to his inmates.

"Sophie Kelly... needing my help!"

His smug attitude was off-putting, he had a sense of superiority and arrogance, standing up and assuming I would willingly shake his hand. I knew what he would be thinking; finally, after all these years, I needed him. Little did he know that, no matter how much I truly needed him, I would never reveal my vulnerability.

"Sit down, you arrogant prick."
"That's not very friendly, is it?"
"Yes, because you're known for being friendly, Colin."
"You put me in here."
"You put yourself in here."
"And now you need my help."
"Nope."
"You don't?" He chuckled smugly.
"No. I just want to know why."

He looked at me with confusion, his eyebrows raised in an attempt to understand why I was there. I knew he would probably presume I needed assistance of an illegal nature, but I would never seek the assistance of someone like Colin Coyle. Well, that's what I thought.

"Why what?"
"Kyra."
"I don't know what you're talking about."
"Oh, come off it."
"I don't know anyone called Kyra, Kelly."

Although he had a notorious reputation for dishonesty, I couldn't help but entertain the idea that he truly had no prior knowledge of or connection to Kyra. However, the only logical explanation for her sudden name change and hatred towards me was if there was some kind of association between her and him. I decided to stick with my assumption that she was his daughter, even though I was starting to doubt it.

"She's your daughter, Colin. She's trying to ruin my life."
"My daughter? Oh, fuck sake, so Glenda's baby was mine?"
"Who is Glenda?"

I could feel the tension and a sense of unwanted familiarity in his demeanour and face when the name Glenda came up. Although I knew he would try to deny it, it was clear that he knew her well.

"I don't have to tell you that."
"You should."
"Nah. I'm good."
"Ten years."
"What?"
"That's how many years I could have added to your sentence if I told them about your little business in here."

His frustration reached its peak as he forcefully slammed his hands on the desk, and his eyes burned with a threat aimed solely at me.

"You know fuck all." He spat.
"What if I wanted to buy some coke in here? Would I know enough to know you can get it in for me?"
"Fuck up!"
"Maybe I should ask them to search your cell while we're sitting here."
"Fuck up!" He gritted his teeth.
"You're shackled to a chair, Colin; you don't scare me."
"I could ruin your life myself!"
"I could ruin yours too. Let's be honest, you haven't got ten years left in you, and your greys show that."

As the conversation continued, his voice grew increasingly frustrated. It was evident that my cocky demeanour was pushing him as far as he could go without exploding.

"What do you want to know?"
"Who's Glenda? How has Kyra managed to get witness protection? And what does she want from me?"

As I watched him, I could see him experience an inner conflict between not wanting to help me by telling the truth and the temptation to lie and simply hope I wouldn't actually report him.