Pay Close Attention

Leah was deep in thought when we returned from dropping Liv off at the airport; she was in a world of her own as I attempted to speak to her about our plans for the week ahead. After three attempts at engaging in conversation, I eventually plonked myself down beside her and waved my hand in front of her face, prompting a giggle to leave her mouth.

"Sorry, Soph. What's up?" She shook her head.
"No - what's up with you? You've been in a world of your own since we dropped Liv off." I chuckled.
"Sorry, babe. I'm just thinking."
"About?"
"What do you think about moving?"
"Moving where?"
"Somewhere close by, but to a bigger place?"
"Is there a reason behind this, or?" I asked, not really following.
"Yeah. Liv wants the room decorated, and I want to do that for her. She was so excited about it, but - well, that's the only spare bedroom we have, and, well, I guess -" Leah stammered.
"We need another room to decorate for a baby?"
"Yeah." She whispered.
"Why do you seem so insecure about this, Le? You know it's what we both want. Is it the operation? Are you still worrying about it not working out?"
"No. I just don't want to rush you into it, that's all. I don't want to force you to do something that maybe you aren't ready for. It's just that Liv being here has made me realise how much I love seeing that side of you. How good you would be at it, and last night when she was upset, well, I guess I kinda thought that I might be good at it too."

Oh, my heart.

"That's what I thought when I watched you both this morning before you woke up."
"It is?"
"Yeah. I always thought it, though, ever since that day in the park."
"Everyone is going to tell us we should wait." Leah sighed.
"Everyone told us to move on when we separated too, though, Le. We didn't listen - and look at us now." I smiled, resting my head on her shoulder.
"What now, then?"
"I don't really know a lot about how it works; maybe we can get some advice on it?"
"Hold on." Leah chuckled, reaching into her pocket for her phone.
"Le." I breathed out, butterflies erupting in my stomach.

Notes upon notes were on her phone, all detailing the processes from start to finish. This wasn't an overnight decision; Leah had been planning this for a while.

The next few hours were spent reading through the notes that Leah had made, Googling the terms we couldn't understand, and thinking of ways we would justify putting our careers on hold to welcome a baby to our family and friends.

Speaking of careers.

The following morning, Amanda and I went to the meeting that had been organised with the disgruntled client. We managed to come to an agreement with him, deciding that I would take on the case from home, something Leah and I had discussed prior to the meeting. It was agreed that I would handle the court preparation, which included asking for an extension to pre-court timing. I agreed to meet with him once a week in order to salvage the relationship between him and the firm, hoping to give him some security in our ability to defend him. He jumped at the opportunity to be represented by me, telling me how much research he had done into picking me as his solicitor in the first place.

What a mistake that would be.

Returning from the meeting, weighed down with paperwork, I found a cheerful and smiling Leah sitting at the table doing some tactical work for her club.

"I'm guessing it went well, Soph?" She smiled, nodding towards the pile of paper I had set on the table.
"Yeah. He agreed. Are you sure you're okay with this?"
"Of course, it's only one case. I didn't even expect you to come out of work in the first place for me."
"I know, but I made you a promise."
"Your business is important too, Soph. I'm doing this for Arsenal, and you're doing some work for your firm. I think it's kinda cute that we'll both be sitting here working across the table from each other." She chuckled.
"I feel we'll get distracted once or twice." I rolled my eyes.
"I hope so." Leah whispered.
"Did you call the decorator?"
"Yeah. She's coming tonight to have a look."
"Okay. Hopefully we'll find a new house in the new year."

Leah and I had talked of finding a new place before the wedding but subsequently decided it was better to leave it until after. We didn't want the stress of moving on top of everything else, but we knew we had made a promise to Liv. We knew she would be here for the wedding, and we knew that she would be disappointed if we didn't uphold that promise of her having her very own room.

A short while later, the doorbell rang, letting us know that the decorator was here. Leah went to open the door, and I could faintly hear in the background that it was a woman who was clearly a fan of Leah's football ability. As they entered the room, it was hard not to notice how exceptionally good-looking she was: long brown hair tied into a messy bun, huge green eyes that almost sparkled when she smiled, and a soft hint of an Irish accent. Nothing on my Leah, though.

"Hi. You must be Sophie?"
"I am." I smiled, standing up to greet her.
"Cara."
"Is that a Derry accent I hear?"
"Ha! It is. I mostly managed to get rid of it and pick up the London twang, but my fellow Irish people can always recognise it." She chuckled.
"You can take the girl out of Ireland..." I began.
"But you can never take Ireland out of the girl." We chuckled in unison.

Leah giggled loudly enough for me to know that she was feeling a little twinge of jealousy at the interaction between us, her body loosening as I affectionately placed my hand on her lower back to let her know I was just being friendly with Cara.

"So, it's a bedroom?"
"It is. Our niece is very demanding. I think Leah told you what she was hoping for?"
"She did indeed; can I take a look?"
"Course." Leah butted in, making sure she was the one to lead the way.

You're not very subtle, Le. Jealousy isn't something you hide well.

As Cara and Leah returned from the bedroom, Cara gave us a quote and told us she could start the work the following week. We agreed, not being bothered to shop around and confident that Cara's plans had captured everything Liv wanted and more.

"I have your number anyway, Leah, so I'll text you before I come and make sure everything still fits." Cara smiled.

Leah looked raging, something I wasn't understanding until she spoke.

"I actually called you from Sophie's phone. She forgot her phone this morning, and mine was dead."
"That's fine; I can text you then, Sophie." She smiled.

Leah showed Cara out as I chuckled to myself in the living room at her protectiveness over me. Upon her return, she sat closer than usual to me, taking my hand into hers and giving me the most enthusiastic I love you so much, Soph. I smirked up at her, not breaking eye contact as she gazed into my eyes and raised her eyebrows.

"What?" She asked shyly.
"Are you jealous?" I chuckled.
"You can take the girl out of Ireland." Leah mimicked, half joking, half serious.
"Oh my God! You are!"
"What? She's good-looking. Like really good-looking." Leah sighed.
"Should I be jealous?" I smirked.
"No. It was an observation."
"Mhmm. I believe you." I said playfully.
"Leave me alone; I'm sick."
"Playing the I just had surgery card, I wondered how long it would take for that."

Despite our laughter, the situation wouldn't be funny for long. As two coincidental situations were about to collide, Leah and I would potentially face our biggest strength test yet. One of trust, openness, and fear.