Unknown Identity

Leah was careful not to suffocate me, but if I looked closely enough, I could see her protective behaviour shining through. She began actively seeking a new house for us, called more frequently when she knew I was home alone, and held me closer than ever in bed. She didn't push me; she stuck to her promise of dealing with this my way, I suppose hoping that I would come around to the idea of informing the police. We began looking closely at clients, truly believing that it was most likely someone I had represented or someone that I had turned away. Of course, Mr. Lancaster, who openly admitted he had researched me, was the number one suspect on our list, but that theory was put to bed when the mystery person texted me during a meeting with him.

I became paranoid, truly believing I was being followed when I was out alone, but determined not to let this person ruin my life. I tried tirelessly not to show it, wanting to be as strong as I could be for those around me, but I guess nightmares don't wait until you're alone.

"Soph, baby, babe, Soph. It's me. It's Leah."

I jolted away from her in the bed, feeling as my body glided across the sheets that were soaked beneath me.

"Get away from me! Don't touch me!" I screamed.
"Babe, it's me. It was just a dream, this is real. I'm real." Leah repeated softly, not moving an inch at my request.
"Le?" I rubbed at my eyes, finally waking up.
"Yes, Soph. It's just me." She repeated.

I pushed out my bottom lip and blew air upwards to cool my face down, reaching my hand to my chest to feel the warmth radiating from it.

"Can I?" Leah whispered, nodding in my direction.
"Of course, I'm sorry for shouting."

Leah slowly crept towards me, not caring that she was submerging herself in the sweat-ridden bedsheets. She used the sleeve of her top to wipe the remnants of beads from my forehead before planting a kiss on it, opening her arms to wrap around me.

"I'm very sweaty, Le." I chuckled.
"For all the wrong reasons."
"Mhmm." I nodded.

Leah slowly got up, taking my hand and pulling me from the bed before leading me to the bathroom. She turned on the shower, checking the temperature with her hand before placing gentle kisses against my lips as she removed my clothes.

"I'll get you a towel." Leah smiled, kissing me once more before I got into the shower.

I let the water fall over me, wondering if I would ever feel normal again and if I would ever not feel frightened of someone I didn't know. The last thing I wanted to do at god knows what time was wash my hair, but I knew that it was sticky from the night terror I had just experienced. Stepping back to let the water penetrate through it, I closed my eyes for a few seconds before stepping back out, terrified to be unable to see for too long. Leah stood in the doorway, watching on at my inability to function as a normal person.

"I'm here, Soph. It's safe; you can close your eyes." She smiled affectionately.
"Can you get in with me?" I asked softly.
"Yeah, if that'll help."
"Yeah. I feel safe when you're close." My lip began to quiver as I realised how vulnerable I truly was right now.

Leah made quick work of removing her pyjamas, stepping into the shower with me, and tilting my chin upwards so our lips could meet again. It wasn't a forceful kiss; it was one of safety, one that was just reminding me that she was right there.

"Do you feel safe enough to face the other way, babe?" She whispered.

I nodded and turned the other way, Leah's hands not leaving my body as I moved.

"I'm just letting go to lift the shampoo, okay?"

I nodded.

Within a few seconds, Leah's hands were in my hair as she massaged the shampoo into my scalp. She placed soft kisses across my shoulders, which I knew would taste like shampoo suds to her, but she was baring them in order to make me feel safe. Once my hair was rinsed, Leah wrapped her arms around my waist, holding me so close to her that I could feel her heartbeat in my back.