Stay the Night

Leah POV

"Can we have a chat?"

I was startled, not expecting the doctor to try and have a conversation with me when Sophie was at home showering.

"Sophie's actually just popped home to shower."
"Yes, I asked the nurses to let me know when she had left. I was hoping we could chat—the two of us?"
"Sorry, yeah. Of course. Is something wrong? Am I doing something wrong?"
"No. You mustn't worry so much." He chuckled.
"I'm trying." I smiled.

He motioned for me to sit down, taking a seat in front of me and placing his arms on the back of his chair.

"First of all, how are you?"
"I'm okay. I'm - well it's been hard, but I think we're getting there."
"Hmm yes." He sighed.

Oh.

"You don't think so?"
"No, no. I do. I - I think that - hmm, how do I say it - I think that Sophie needs something, or rather, someone - to let her know that it's not abandoning him to spend a night at home."

I see.

"Yeah - I know. When you suggested it, she told me that it absolutely would not be happening." I chuckled.
"It's hard for you both to leave him. Obviously there's the fact that he's your son and you don't want to go home without him, and then there's the idea that you may leave and something happens."
"Yeah. I think part of her feels like maybe it's like we're forgetting about him if we stay home too long."
"I can understand that. The thing is, both of you are visibly exhausted—mentally and physically. It doesn't have to be that way anymore. Granted, when he first came into the world, you were required to stay here because he was very sick, and for you to go home would risk you not making it back on time if something were to happen. That's not a risk anymore; Teddy is not in here because he needs his life saved; he's in here because he still requires equipment that we cannot provide you with at home, and he still needs to gain weight."
"Yeah." I didn't know what else to say.
"When you both return home—with Teddy—that's when you both need to be at your peak, shall we call it. Home will be strange for him—a place he's never been and surroundings that he doesn't know. You'll likely both find yourselves checking on him every minute to make sure he's breathing, make sure he's comfortable, make sure he's happy. Sleep won't be something you do because you're tired; it'll be something you do because you know you'll be up again in an hour or two. When Teddy is here, we can do that. But with us coming in and out to check him, we obviously wake you both, and as I said, we can see that you're both exhausted."
"Yeah. I understand. I'm just not sure that - well that Sophie will see that." I chuckled.
"I know. I'll leave you to think it over—any questions?"

Just one.

"Any idea when he's coming home?"
"A few more pounds to gain, and hopefully we can discuss that. He's getting heavier though; it shouldn't be too long." He smiled as he left the room.

Sophie returned soon after, immediately checking that everything was still okay before she allowed herself to settle. The doctor was right; despite the fact that she was fresh out of the shower, I could see that her eyes were dark and heavy, and her body was weak—even if she was pretending it wasn't.

"You're quiet, everything's alright?" She asked, sitting on my lap, head on my shoulder, hands running through my hair.
"Yeah." I nodded.
"You're a terrible liar. What's going on?"

Here goes.

"What do you think about staying at home tonight?"
"Hm?"
"Like us two, staying at home."
"I don't follow? You want us to stay at home and do what with Teddy exactly? Just pretend he doesn't exist?"