Reflection

Leah POV

The time I spent apart from Sophie was the lowest I've ever felt in my life. No matter how much I tried to enjoy my experiences, my mind would take me back to how much better they would be if she were there. Sophie told me to sell the ring or 'whatever' when I asked if she wanted it back; I was never going to do that. I still remember the day she came to get her stuff. She had told me that she would pick it up at some point, but I hoped she would change her mind. How wrong was I?

Flashback:

My friends had been great, especially the team. They knew that I needed distraction, and they were more than happy to oblige. As we sat in the cafe, my face was smiling, but my heart was still heavy in my chest. I was still heartbroken. Midway through a conversation about the upcoming matches, my phone began to ring, I saw it was my mum, I know it sounds awful, but I wasn't ready for another you need to talk about how you're feeling, I'm worried conversation, so I ignored it. The noise didn't stop; another two calls came through before a text notification made my eyes pop out of my head.

Mum
Sophie is at the house.

Immediately after calling mum, I began to run to my car with my phone to my ear.

"Mum, how do you know? Did you see her? Does she want to see me? I'm on my way; stop her, please!" I blurted out before she had a chance to speak.
"I'm not there, Leah. I don't know why she is; maybe she wants to talk. I drove by and saw her car there; please be careful driving." Mum said softly.
"Go back—stop her! Please Mum!"
"I've got this meeting, Leah. I'm sorry, this isn't something I should be involved in."

Mum was right; it wasn't her place to ask Sophie to stay. I knew that it had to be me. I rushed through the traffic, refusing to let any other cars out as I attempted to reach the house before Sophie had left. I pulled into the driveway, basically on two wheels, and sighed in relief as I saw her car still sitting there. Phew. Every footstep I made towards the front door felt like it was taking too long, my mind racing with the idea that Sophie might want to talk. And that's when I saw it. Boxes. Lots of them. My heart fell to my feet as I tried to stop myself from breaking down on the spot. I could hear the clanging of hangers beating off one another upstairs, knowing she was clearing out her wardrobe. The noise of me closing the front door obviously startled her; almost silent footsteps made their way across the floor above me before she appeared at the top of the stairs.

"Hi." She spoke softly, showing obvious signs that she had been crying.
"Hi."
"I'm sorry, I thought you'd be out. I'm just getting my things."
"I was out. Mum saw your car here, and she thought, - I thought - well - I thought - you know. Need any help?"
"I'm good, thank you. I won't be long."

All I could do was nod, making my way to the kitchen to silently cry. I stood with my hands propping me up on the worktop beside the sink, desperately trying to calm my breathing, not wanting Sophie to see me this way. I could feel the coldness of my engagement ring hanging from my neck—the ring I had placed on a chain and worn around my neck since Sophie and I ended. Please don't ask for it back.

A clearing of her throat was how Sophie alerted me that she was in the room. I took one last deep breath, turning to face her but unable to speak.

"That's me, sorted." She gave a half-smile.
"Yeah, okay. Be careful driving back to Ireland."
"I'm -"
"It's fine, really." I couldn't hear her say she was sorry. Not now.
"Yeah, sorry. Ignore me. Anyway, look after yourself, Leah." Leah. Not Le.
"You too, Soph."

Sophie walked quietly out of the room. I placed my hand over my mouth and sat down on the floor, exactly where I had been standing. I let the emotions take over my body, with my shoulders jerking up and down and my sobs echoing around the kitchen. I didn't know it was possible to feel this.