Six Months

Everything had led to this day; it was the days that would come after it that we should've worried about.

"Hi you." Leah said cheerily on the phone.
"Morning." I croaked.
"Did I wake you?"
"Yeah, I don't mind, though."
"Sorry, I was just excited." She chuckled.
"Oh yeah? What for?"

The silence was painful.

"Just the day."
"What have you got planned? I thought you had a short day of training."
"Yeah, I just love a Thursday, I guess."

She thinks I've forgotten—mission accomplished.

"You're weird." I chuckled.
"What're you doing today, Soph?"
"Just work; I might call to dad's on the way home."
"What time will you be home?"
"I dunno, like, before bed?"
"Call me when you're home so I can say night, yeah?"
"Always. Have a good day."
"You too, Soph. I love you."
"I love you."

I wasn't going to work, obviously. I'd been in contact with Amanda for most of the week, putting the finishing touches to my master plan. She was going to text Leah today, inviting her to a last-minute family dinner and making an excuse as to why it was important. I knew that if Leah thought I'd forgotten that it was our six-month anniversary, she wouldn't turn down the offer of going out for food.

I climbed out of bed, packing the last of my things into my bag before going for a shower. I'd never done anything like this before, and because of that, I couldn't seem to brush off the feeling of guilt I had that Leah was at training right now, thinking I'd forgotten something that actually meant so much to me. I toyed with the idea of sending her a text, but I didn't want to ruin the plan.

Just a few hours later, I found myself in London, walking the streets with my phone in my hand, trying to find the restaurant that I'd booked for the two of us. It was then that I noticed that everyone in London is busy, and they do not have time for a hopeless romantic and her dodgy iPhone maps app. Eventually, I set eyes on Amanda from across the road; she stood chuckling at my disorientation from outside the restaurant.

"Hi." I sighed.
"London's a big place, isn't it?" She chuckled.
"Literally, not one person would help me."
"Not surprising."
"She's here, then?"
"Yeah, she's texting me telling me to hurry up or she's going home. She keeps going on about how you're calling her when you get home, and she doesn't want to be stuck in a restaurant when you do. She won't believe her eyes when you walk in." Amanda smiled.
"Thank you for this."
"Don't be silly - here." She smiled, handing me the gift bag containing the present I'd asked her to collect for me.
"Thank you for picking this up for me." I smiled.
"It's no trouble at all; I'll leave you to your date."

We shared a quick hug before I watched Amanda walk into the distance, taking a deep breath as I entered the restaurant. From the corner of my eye, I could see Leah sitting at the table, very obviously frantically texting her mum asking her whereabouts.

I made my way towards the table, smiling as Leah's eyes looked up from her phone and landed directly on me. Her own eyes glazed over, her smile growing by the second, and her hands clenched as she too felt the frustration at not being able to show any kind of affection in such a public place.

"You thought I forgot?" I smiled, taking a seat in the chair across from her.
"You didn't." Leah whispered, her eyes locked on mine.
"Of course I didn't."
"I can't believe you're here. I can't believe you're right in front of me, and I can't just reach over there and hold you."
"Trust me, I'm going to eat dinner faster than I ever have." I chuckled.
"Please tell me you're staying tonight."
"Yeah, if you'll have me."
"Have you? I think I would've just kidnapped you if not."