Love(d)

Before I left for work the following morning, I helped Leah into bed. Despite our time together on the sofa through the night, I still hadn't managed to rationalise my mind. I knew I wanted to be with Leah; I didn't want us to end, but I also knew that I couldn't possibly carry on like this. Since I had known Leah, she had been injured twice, and both times it had resulted in our relationship suffering because of it. If I stayed, was I opening myself up to that constantly? On the other hand, Leah really needed me right now; if I wasn't there for her through this, was I basically ending it anyway?

The morning dragged; it was like when you're waiting for a bus and every minute feels like an hour. Business was slow; it may have been steady, but slow and a law firm don't bode well. We needed to find clients fast, and our need for revenue to be able to produce results was becoming clear. Before last night, I knew that I had the ability to represent those big clients; Leah's words had significantly dulled my sparkle of confidence. Shortly after 2 p.m., as I was flicking through pictures of Leah and me, Paula knocked on the door of the office. I sighed to myself, hoping that this wasn't Leah pretending to be a client again; I wasn't ready to face her, certainly not in my office anyway.

"I know something is going on, but Mr. Young is here to see you." Paula sighed.
"Nothing that impacts the business. Send him through." I smiled.

Mr. Young's case had been plastered over the news in recent weeks. He was a renowned London actor, highly admired by the public, until his wife, a former model, decided to divorce him. It was a messy breakup; nasty messages were exchanged and publicised, and Mrs. Young claimed that Mr. Young had been cheating with a younger woman. My stance of not representing the guilty was still one I would not surrender, no matter how much money I needed. I reminded myself of that as I watched him enter the room, immediately smelling his aftershave and recognising his suit as Dior.

"Mr. Young, take a seat." I smiled.
"Thank you, Miss Kelly. Fantastic office you have here." His posh London accent strong.
"I appreciate the compliment. How can I assist you?"
"You came highly recommended. I'm sure you have read the coverage of my not-so-friendly divorce. I could really lend a hand, Miss Kelly."
"Sophie is fine. Let's get a few things out of the way, younger woman?"
"I can assure you that is nothing but a vindictive lie; I love Geraldine. I could never have made her feel that way."

Love. Not loved. That was all it had taken—a simple present tense term. Often, I ask those questions not for the sentence but for the words within the sentence. In this case, had Mr. Young used the word loved, I would know that he was no longer in love with Geraldine, and therefore there would be a possibility that he had cheated. The present tense showed that he still thought of her as a part of him. As our conversation continued, it became clear that all Mr. Young wished to do was protect himself from serious financial loss. He didn't wish to leave her with nothing; in fact, he wanted her to have more than half of his savings; he just didn't want to be left with nothing. We agreed on terms; his legal fees would be enough to cover our current outgoings and more. I wish I could call Leah to tell her.

We set a few dates for case building before I walked him to the door of the offices, I just had one more question for him.

"You said I came highly recommended; do you mind telling me who by?" I questioned.
"Of course, young Liam. Works in your Belfast office, said you were whisked away to London by Lloyd & Sons."
"Don't you want to know why I don't work there anymore?"
"I already do. That's why I chose you."
"What do you mean, Mr. Young?" I asked, confused.
"You gave up a job with the biggest law firm in the UK for love. You obviously have a deep understanding of love, so I knew you would understand that I don't want to leave my Geraldine with nothing." He smiled.
"Indeed, I do." I smiled back.