Chapter 6

"What have we got Sadie?" James asked as the team around the conference room table.
"A woman in her late 20s was found dead in Harlem. Her names Bianca Wright. Her mink coat was laced with cocaine, the police believe she had ties to a known and prominent drug ring and that she was one of their runners" Sadie explained.
"Is she a call girl?" Grace asked.
"Probably, they think that she ended up on the streets and began seeing Johns then escalated to drug running" Sadie explained.
"How many bodies are connected to this drug ring?" Grace asked.
"We've had 38 bodies in total that we've managed to connect to them, men, women and children" Sadie frowned deeply.
"We've never been able to make any arrests as of yet but the Harlem police like this case and their willing to do anything to help us" James told them.
"Where's the crime scene evidence?" Marco asked.
"It should be here within the hour" Sadie told them.
"Until then I'll take Grace down to the M. E's" James told them.

"Hello?" James called into the seemingly empty basement.
"Good day to you both" Diane smiled motioning to a sheet covered body for them to stand around whilst she slipped on a pair of latex gloves.
"This young woman had a single gunshot wound to the head, no casing was found at the scene, but the bullet does match the other 38 crime scenes like the police and Alisha suspected" Diane told them.
"So, this is the work of the Harlem drug ring?" Grace asked.
"Yes, it is. The mink coat was also laced with cocaine, which is skilled work, but they left behind a few clues" Diane handed James a bag with some sand in it.
"It's sand" he shrugged.
"Not just any sand. It's sand from the east river" she told them.
"If you're dealing drugs is Harlem why would your runner be anywhere near the east river?" James asked.
"I don't know but it's something you should look into" Diane told them.
"Fancy a drive?" James asked.
"I would love one" Grace smiled.

Grace and James stood along the bank of the east river listening to the seagulls above them and the water lapping at the side of the bank.
"There's a lot of factories here. Anyone of them could've been used to make the drugs" James told her.
"But why here? They would have to transport the drugs back to Harlem it doesn't make any sense. Unless the call girl/drug runner came out here for a reason" she suggested.
"If it was someone involved in the ring, they wouldn't have left the coat on her"
"That coat is probably worth half a million. So again, it doesn't make any sense. We should look into her life, any alias's she might have too" Grace suggested.
"I'll call Sadie, tell her to run her face, name and fingerprints" James nodded.
"Hair too" Grace added.
"Why the hair?"
"Girls lose their hair everywhere trust me, get Sadie to run it" Grace told him.

Grace and James exited the elevator where Sadie and the rest of the team were waiting.
"What have you got?" James asked.
"I got a hit on her under another name, Simone Giles. Arrested for prostitution and drug possession" Sadie told them "I also got a hit on her hair, it was found on another victim of the drug ring"
"Good work Cameron" James smiled.
"Thanks boss" Grace smiled.
"I've asked around and I found her old hunting ground, we have a few people we can talk to" Lorenzo told them.
"The press believe it was a random mugging gone wrong for now. Her parents are also in your office" Sadie told them.
"Want to help break the news?" James asked Grace.
"Unfortunately, yes" Grace nodded.

Grace and James entered his office, offering the parents solemn looks.
"Hello Mr and Mrs Giles. I'm Agent Lawson and this is agent Cameron" James shook their hands first then Grace did.
"We were told something happened to our baby girl" Mr Giles frowned deeply.
"I'm so sorry to have to tell you this but your daughter was found dead, shot executioner style" James frowned.
"Oh my god!" Mrs Giles burst into floods of tears, burying her head in her husband's chest.
"Why would someone do something so despicable to our baby?" Mr Giles asked.
"We think your daughter was involved with a drug ring in Harlem" Grace told them.
"We know she was involved with some rough people, but drugs? She hated drugs" Mr Giles told them.
"Our son died because he was a drug runner, Simone wouldn't touch the stuff" Mrs Giles told them.
"I'm sorry to tell you but your daughter was arrested for prostitution and drug possession" Grace told them.
"Did she have any money troubles before 6 months ago?" James asked.
"Yeah, we lent her a few hundred, when she paid it back, we thought nothing of it" Mr Giles admitted.
"She never came to you scared that someone was following her or saying that she owed someone money?" James asked.
"Never, she was a good girl" Mrs Giles managed to say firmly before she began crying again.

Grace sat in her car across the street from the school field watching as the kids ran around playing their game of lacrosse. Grace watched as Thomas and George ran up and down the field with their friends calling out to them as Thomas finally scored, making Grace beam with pride. Watching the boys play filled her with joy after her long and tough day. As the game came to an abrupt end Thomas moved to the fence, looking through one of the holes as he looked straight at Grace's car before George joined him. Sam called their names and they both jogged back across the field towards their father and their friends, Grace switched on her engine and drove away relatively unseen.