Chapter 27

"Did you know that she was FBI?" Hunter asked Lilly from his place at his desk.
"No. I met her at a diner, I was asking for directions when she offered me a ride, she told me she was running from her abusive husband" Lilly lied expertly.
"Why don't you meet my eye?" Hunter asked.
"I don't like eye contact. I find that those who lie well will just do it to your face anyway so what's the point in looking someone in the eye" Lilly shrugged.
"Do you know why those men stormed in here with guns?" He asked.
"They don't like your freedoms so they are imposing on you for greater control. Only god can judge us and our actions"
"Well said young one" Hunter smiled.
"Why does it matter what I think anyway?"
"Because God has sent you here to be saved. In order to do that you must show us that you believe as we do" Hunter told her.
"On the next call you should test them. Tell them you'll release a kid for information about Grace" Lilly encouraged "If they lie you'll know that you can't trust them but if they don't you'll know that you have the upper hand" Lilly encouraged.
"I like that idea" Hunter nodded.

"Agent Romano" Hunter said down the line.
"Hello Mr Croft"
"I will release a child if you tell me the name of the FBI agent"
"You know I can't do that"
"I'm sending the child now" Hunter told him before he nodded to one of his men. Lorenzo jumped into a truck and drove through the dense wood, finding a little girl at the gate, he picked her up quickly and drove back to the trailer.
"We've got her. The agent's name is Grace Cameron" Marco told him.
"Grace Cameron will be judged by god-"
"Don't hurt her, or else I cannot stop those armed men from going back onto your compound" Marco told him.
"I won't hurt her. God will protect her if she is righteous" Hunter told him before he hung up his end of the line "Get the water ready" Hunter ordered.

Grace was pulled up onto her knees as Hunter entered the room.
"You will be bathed in his redemption" Hunter told her "Would you like to offer up a prayer?"

"This isn't right" Lorenzo muttered as they all listened to Grace's listening device.
"We can't go in there. Grace can hold her own" Marco encouraged.

"Dear lord, deliver me from this evil and send this bastard to h-" Grace was cut off as Hunter forced her head into the ice cold water in front of her for a minute before he pulled her head out again.
"Have you ever been immersed before?" He asked, watching as Grace panted trying to catch her breath again.
"If your asking if I've been waterboarded before-" Grace managed to bite out before Hunter dunked her head back into the ice cold water before he lifted her head again.

"I can't listen to this" Sadie announced, moving away from the computer, heading outside away from the sound.

"Yes, yes I have" Grace huffed out.
"You will be baptized in the lords mercy-"
"This isn't mercy. Mercy would be letting Amelia and Mary and every one of those people from your cells that need help" Grace bit.
"Amelia is a child of god. You all are. Some of you are just plagued by demons" Hunter told her, finally releasing his grip on her head "It's time for me to take your confession"
"I have nothing to confess to you" Grace glared back before Hunter grabbed a handful of her hair.
"Wrong answer" Hunter smirked before he dunked her head into the water, letting her up after a minute "Confess your sins" he ordered before he released the grip he had on her hair.
"I'm guilty of lust, envy, and pride. I screw who I want because when I was a child a man thought he deserved my body, I envy those who had a better life than my own, and I am full of pride for what I've had to live through" Grace admitted.
"What about Nicholas?" He asked.
"We were 15, young, stupid..."
"You had a baby with him" Hunter nodded.
"No. Our other friend got me pregnant and Nick helped me get an abortion" Grace admitted.
"Exodus 20:13. You shall not murder" Hunter told her before he dunked her head into the ice water, this time for longer, letting the cold water fill her senses completely. Her nose, her ears, her mouth, her lungs. Hunter called it immersion baptism. It was torture. Her lungs burned. Her chest felt like it was going to burst. Then Hunter pulled her from the water again. Grace fell to the floor coughing, the burning sensation in her lungs only growing as she tried to get the water out.
"You murdered your unborn child. You have lusted after men-"
"And you killed my best friend. A man that just wanted to earn redemption. Who are you to have taken that from him?" Grace shot back quickly, finally gaining enough strength to talk.
"I am a disciple of god. I have done god's work"
"No offense asshole but, if anyone is going to judge me for my sins it will be God not you. I have accepted the fact that I might rot in hell for all eternity but, at least I don't hide behind the premise of doing his work" Grace shot back, earning a swift kick in the stomach from him.
"I will give you a chance to earn my redemption. Tonight. If you do well, maybe God will accept you into his arms" Hunter said close to her ear before he motioned towards one of his men to take Grace away.

"Fuck!" James cursed, his jaw clenching, his hands bawled into fists as he thought over what to do "We can't wait that long. We need to get her out, we need to get them both out" James told her as he paced.
"We need to get her a signal so she knows what time were going in" Marco told them.
"I just need a clear view through a window and I can get her a message" Lorenzo told them.

"Guys, I don't know if you can hear me, but I'm in a room on the south side of the church. I need to know what time your coming" Grace spoke to the empty air around her, hoping that the device in her watch was still working "Please. Hear me" Grace begged lightly as she waited for something. Suddenly a red dot appeared on the wall.
"Lorenzo is that you?" Grace asked, watching as the dot moved up and down, signalling yes.
"What time is the raid?" She asked watching as the dot moved, 9.
"9?" Grace asked, making the dot move in an up and down motion once again.
"That's..." Grace glanced at her wrist that was tied to the metal bedframe "Four hours from now. I can try to get a message to Lilly but I don't know if I can. If Hunter comes... I'll be okay. Don't put anyone else at risk" Grace ordered, watching as the dot disappeared from the wall opposite her.