Chapter 88

"Our what?" Cormac froze along with Grace "What did you just say!?" He hit his hands off the table "Grace!" He charged around the table as Grace tried to move away from him, he grabbed her by her wrist, pushing her against the nearest wall, caging her in with his body.
"What did you say!" He shouted at her, when he didn't get an answer he slammed his fist on the wall beside her head, making her flinch. The door to the interrogation room flung open, James stormed in and pulled Cormac away from her as Simon pulled her out. James glared at Cormac before he followed after them, closing the door behind him. Grace leant against the nearest wall, her heart pounding, her legs shaking. She slid down the wall, pulling her knees up to her chest as she hit the floor.
"I need to go back in there" Grace announced still in her daze, her heart pounding in her chest.
"What! Are you crazy!?" Simon argued.
"He wouldn't hurt me. Especially after I just admitted to giving him everything that he wanted" Grace glared at him "I need to go back in there" she repeated, rising to her feet on slightly shaky legs.
"You can't" James told her.
"I just told him that I had his baby in secret, he deserves to know what happened, he needs to know that it wasn't my choice to give her up" Grace told him.
"Let me go in there with you, please" James pleaded.
"No"
"What?"
"I said no. You will kill him when you know the truth, so you can stay out here and listen. Please. I can handle him, he won't hurt me" she assured him.
"The minute he moves out of that chair I'm coming in and cuffing him" he warned her.
"He won't hurt me now" she assured him before she moved to the door, taking a deep breath before she pushed the door open and headed inside.
"Gracie-"
"Don't get up, if you do James won't let me explain what happened" she warned him as he slipped back into his chair.
"So what did you mean when you said our little girl?" Grace slipped into the chair opposite him, taking a deep breath before she began.
"The last three days I spent with you, you were very insistent that you wanted a baby with me. The first night you screwed me raw, the next you flushed my pills and the night after you made sure that I couldn't move or that I didn't want to say no. I guess your plan worked because a few weeks later I started throwing up over any smell. Clara sat on the floor of the bathroom with me as we waited to see what the test said. I was terrified because the last time I saw two pink lines I was 15 and I went through hell. So this time, when I saw those two pink lines I...I was scared shitless" Grace fell silent as she remembered every piece of what happened during those 9 months.
"What happened after?" Tears began rolling down her cheeks.
"The government found out and they took her away" Grace began crying, unable to control the tears flowing from her eyes. Cormac got up from the chair and moved to hold her in his arms "I fought for her. I tried to get up but-" Grace couldn't talk as the tears took over her body.
"It's okay" Cormac fell to his knees and crawled towards her, holding her hands in his "This wasn't your fault" he assured her.
"She had your eyes and my light hair. She was beautiful and perfect and I couldn't protect her" She told him through tears.
"You did what you had to do" he frowned.
"I didn't do enough" she cried harder.
"I'm sorry" he moved away from her, resting his forehead against the wall.
"This wasn't your fault" she assured him.
"I made you lie there and take it. I made sure that you wouldn't say no, and I made sure you couldn't move from under me" he bit in anger at his own actions.
"I've been raped before, this wasn't that" she assured him.
"I threw away your pills. I'm no better than the guy that hurt you"
"No, your nothing like him" Grace assured him, crossing the room towards him before he stopped her.
"I did exactly what he did. You may not have fought me but what happened was the same. Get out. Don't come back, Grace" he ordered.
"Cor-"
"Get out. Go find your daughter and never come back to see me. Leave Grace" he ordered again.
"I don't blame you" she repeated one last time before she left the room.

Grace closed the door to the interrogation room behind her, taking a breath before she met James' eyes.
"He raped you" he started.
"He loved me, he was aggressive about it but he didn't intend for it to be like that" she shrugged.
"I didn't know" Simon shrugged as no other words came to mind.
"No one did, except Clara. My baby was an act of terrorism, an affront to our country and everything we were working towards. They told me that so many times I can repeat it by heart" Grace told him.
"What happened?" Diane asked.
"We were staying at a base compiling our evidence when I took the test. They apparently found it in the trash before they whisked me away" Grace took a deep breath before she began again "I gave birth in a hole. It was a bunker with four rooms, a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and a locked room they only opened to check on the baby. I spent nine months not talking to anyone, nine months without sunlight, nine months knowing that they were going to take my baby away" she told them.
"Didn't the doctors talk to you?" Diane asked.
"No, there were cameras throughout the bunker so they didn't need to talk to me" she told them, searching back through her memories "There was one doctor though he looked about 12, he was nice to me. After I gave birth they kept her in another room, he brought her to me, let me hold her for five minutes before they pulled her from my arms again. I didn't know his name" she told them.
"I didn't need to know it, you were someone in pain and all I wanted to do was help" Oliver spoke up.
"You?"
"I never put it together until just now, you were like a ghost back then. They told us to call you Jane Doe" he told her "I was punished for helping you, that's how I ended up in the morgue"
"I was depressed after. I didn't eat or move for days. When Davenport came to see me he offered up a deal, option A: was to keep my baby a secret and I could take any job I wanted or option B: was they hide me in a base in some country and I disappear off the face of the earth forever. I left the bunker and ran to the only place I knew-"
"Your boys" Lorenzo finishes for her.
"Yeah. I stayed there for a while, cleared my head and I chose an assignment near the kids that I could protect"
"I'm sorry" Oliver frowned deeply.
"It wasn't your fault" she assured him, pulling him into her arms, hugging her tightly. After a minute she pulled away, giving him a gentle smile before she turned to James.
"That's my last secret I swear" she promised "I wasn't allowed to tell anyone, you have no idea how badly I wanted to tell you-"
"You have nothing to be sorry for" James assured her before he pulled her into his arms, holding her tightly.