Chapter 95

Grace and James headed into the conference room.
"I found her" was all Sadie told them with a bright smile on her face. Grace felt the room go silent around her, their words not reaching her ears. She could see their lips moving but it felt like the whole world was on mute.
"Gracie, Gracie" James called, shaking her gently until she snapped out of her trance.
"Sorry. It's just...I...this is a lot" she muttered.
"You can wait. I can follow her everywhere she goes. There's no need to rush" Sadie assured her with a kind smile.
"When she was taken, I never thought I would see her again and now she's so close" Grace's voice shook with sadness.
"You still want her?" Lorenzo asked.
"More than I want to breathe" she admitted with a deep sigh "She is 2 years and 7 months. 2 years and 7 months I haven't stopped thinking about her. I haven't stopped thinking about what she looks like or if she's more like me or Cormac. I want my daughter but, they'll never let me get close to the greatest act of terrorism in 40 years" Grace sighed deeply.
"Then we'll make them give her back" Lorenzo spoke up.
"It's not going to be that easy" she argued gently.
"Where do we start?" James asked.
"Davenport. He took her" Grace told them.
"Then we take the fight to him" James told them, sending them all marching towards the elevator. 

"We need to speak with agent Davenport please, its urgent" James told the secretary. 
"He's busy for the foreseeable future, but if you leave a name I can have him call you when he has a minute" she smiled, holding out a pen and paper for him to write his name on. 
"He will make time now!" Grace told her.  
"You can't go in there- Please. He's in a meeting" The secretary tried to argue as Grace marched past her and into Agent Davenport's office, ending the conversation he had been having with another agent. 
"We'll finish this later" he nodded to the younger agent. As the door closed behind him, Davenport met Grace's eyes and he let out a deep sigh "Am I ever going to get rid of you?" 
"Not as long as I breathe" she bit. 
"What are you demanding this time?" 
"My daughter"
"You mean the physical representation of your act of terrorism?"
"She was a baby and now she is a little girl. For almost three years you have kept a child away from her mother and for what?"
"Her very existence is an act of terrorism. I gave you your pick of assignments. I kept you out of trouble-"
"Kept me out of trouble! Is that what you call government sanctioned prostitution in return for information? I wouldn't have had her if you hadn't sent me to Cormac!" silence fell upon the room until Davenport broke it with a sigh. 
"What do you want?"
"I want my daughter. I'm doing you the curtesy of telling you before I take her" he laughed, folding his arms over his chest. 
"What makes you think I'll let you get anywhere near her?" his wide smile only making her more angry. 
"Sadie's already found her. She could find a needle in a haystack across the world if you asked her" Grace told him, before she rounded his desk, moving to stand just a foot away from him "If you don't let me take her then the whole world will know what you ask your female agents to do. That's the great thing about the 21st century, when a man asks you to lie on your back and take it the whole world stands with you at the injustice of it all" 
"Is that a threat?" he sneered. 
"No. Its a promise, Michael. Because I'm a mother to four beautiful children. Two boys who I have witnessed grow up to be nothing like their father, who only know kindness and love. And a daughter who I only got to hold for five minutes before she was ripped away from me again. A memory that I play over and over in my head until I am numb from everything else. I am a mother. Abi, Liam, Connor and Daisy. I didn't chose any of them, they chose me, and I will die before I loose them, before any of them know how much I love them because that is what a mother does. I would lie under my rapist a thousand time if it meant I could hold my daughter again" Grace didn't bother wiping away the tears that had fallen from her eyes. 
"She's what? Four?"
"Almost three you jackass" 
"Right" he nodded flippantly "Does she know you? Will she remember you in the same way that you remember her? She has lived seeing the same two people every morning, she has had the same people that she calls mom and dad tuck her into bed every night and hold her when she's scared-"
"But they shouldn't be! I had no choice in her conception! I asked to be pulled out day after day and no one came to help me! She is innocent in everything. Those people aren't her parents no more than I am a virgin. She has a family who have been waiting for her, she has parents and older siblings, she has aunts and uncles, she has a life waiting for her!" 
"She has a life there. Her mother is Joanne, her father is Peter. She goes to school and the park and she plays with her friends. She has a life-"
"No, what she has is a lie. They can't tell her where she gets the colour of her eyes, or where she gets her smile. She is a part of me. I'm getting my daughter back, you can either help or I will burn your whole life to the ground and I will let you live in the ashes as a reminder of the destruction you created. Your choice. I have the head of the New York paper on speed-dial" she warned him. Davenport began typing on his computer before he picked up a pen and wrote something down, slipping the paper across the table to her. 
"What's this?" Grace asked, looking over the paper. 
"Her address" he told her before he opened one of his desk drawers and handed her a picture of Daisy. 
"She's beautiful" Grace's voice broke as more tears began to fall.
"I didn't want to take her. We have orders to follow" he told her, regret flashing in his eyes. 
"I'm going to get my daughter" Grace smiled widely, her eyes glued to the picture of the two year old girl who smiled back widely at whoever was behind the camera.  

Grace had been silent the whole ride, she had a thousand thoughts racing through her mind as she stared at the picture of her daughter. 
"What are you thinking?" James asked, seeing her mind racing. 
"I'm going to get to meet her and that's...terrifying" 
"Your worried about how she'll take it" he sighed lightly and nodded.
"What if Davenport is right? What if she wants to stay with them?" James slipped his free hand into hers. 
"She is your daughter and she has lived with people who have cared for her and loved her but, she is your daughter. She belongs with you" he told her, squeezing her hand lightly. 
"What about the people that I'm taking a daughter away from?" 
"I don't know, Gracie" he let out as a sigh "I don't know"