Chapter 80

Grace buttoned her skinny jeans before she moved the dresser from in front of the door and headed out into the hallway before she went downstairs and into the kitchen.
"Ah there she is. Good morning sweetheart" Micheal folded his newspaper and placed it on the counter as Grace reached him and placed a kiss on his cheek.
"Good morning" She smiled back as she slid onto the stool next to him.
"How did you sleep?"
"It was alright. I must be missing my boys"
"That's understandable" he nodded "I didn't sleep a wink when I left you" he admitted, a silence falling over them.
"I didn't tell her"
"Tell her?"
"I didn't tell mom that you were cheating"
"How long have you been thinking about that day?"
"Since it happened" she admitted "I thought it was my fault. I didn't sleep for three days. It took 4 months before I slept a full night. Another 2 before I wasn't crying myself to sleep" she told him.
"I'm sorry. It was all my fault and I shouldn't have done it" he admitted. Grace saw something in his eyes change and his tone seemed to change too, becoming sadder, more real, like he had stopped playing a role and he let his real self show. It frightened her and made her want to hug him.
"Now" he smiled, rubbing his hands together "What can I make you for breakfast?" He smiled.
"Pancakes" she smiled.
"You and pancakes" he laughed, rising from his chair and rounding the counter "Even after all these years your still my baby girl" they both smiled.

"I want you out of my house right now!" Rosaline shouted.
"I'm not leaving my daughter behind!" Micheal shouted back.
"Why don't you and your mistress have another!"
Grace let the sound of their arguing drown her ears. She had never heard them fight like this before. They were always the picture perfect couple, dinner together every night, read their daughter to sleep, share kisses and touches every chance they could. They never fought.
"You did this!" Rosaline shouted.
"No Ros, you did!"
"Get out you cheating bastard!"
Those words pierced Grace's heart. It was all her fault. Her mother had found out about their secret. What has she done.
"You know what, I'm done! You keep her! I wish her the best luck being raised by you!" Micheal shouted one final time before he charged out of his study.
"Daddy?" Grace called out to him but he didn't stop his path out of the house "Daddy!" She called again as she followed after him but he still didn't stop.
"Grace" Tom said gently in the hope that she would stop chasing her father, but she didn't stop.
"Daddy stop!" She called again before he left the house finally, the door slamming shut behind him. Tom blocked the door, stopping Grace from opening it as she yanked at the handle. She ran to the window beside the door and began pounding on it.
"Daddy! Daddy stop! I didn't tell her our secret! It wasn't me! Daddy stay!" She continued to shout and pound on the window as she watched him start his car and pull out of their driveway. She watched the driveway until her eyes filled with tears and blocked her from seeing it.
"Come on Grace" Tom picked up the small girl in his arms, her arms wrapping around his neck tightly as she continued to cry.
It was all her fault. Her mother found out about their secret. And now, he was gone.

"Hey boss. We've got another shipment coming in later today" a man told him.
"Good. I'll be ready" Micheal nodded, sending the man away.
"I can help" Grace suggested.
"No"
"Come on dad, I know what I'm doing"
"I don't doubt that but I want you safe, not out there doing my dirty work for me"
"Dirty work? So it is illegal" she teased mischievously.
"I will handle my business and when I get back we can enjoy the time we have together" he told her, placing a kiss to her forehead before he headed off.

Grace sat in the garden, her brown hair flowing in the wind as her dress fluttered around her.
"What have we got here?" A man smirked as his eyes raked over her body.
"The bosses daughter, forbidden fruit" another smirked.
"You can try it if you want, but I put up a pretty good fight" Grace challenged as she continued to look away from them.
"What are you going to do princess?" He smirked. Grace reached behind her back and pulled out a gun, pointing at them before she turned to look at them.
"You wanna push your luck?" She smiled sweetly.
"Leave her be boys" Robert encouraged "You can put the gun down too" Grace scowled at him before she flicked the safety back on and put the gun back behind her. The men shot a look at Robert and cast a final look at Grace before they headed off.
"I can take care of myself" she bit.
"I know you can. I just didn't want them thinking that they could have you"
"I'm not yours either" she shot back.
"I didn't say that" he laughed lightly.
"You were thinking it. Eight to twelve" she reminded him "Your a sick bastard. And if I tell my dad, he'll kill you" Robert smirked as he moved closer to her.
"Then why haven't you told him?"
"Maybe I want to torture you before I kill you myself?" She suggested.
"What's to stop me from taking that gun from you?" He suggested as he leant on the arms of her chair, his face inches from hers "What's to stop me from slipping into your room tonight?"
"What's to stop me from pulling the trigger?" She challenged as he looked down at the gun she was now pointing at him. Robert laughed before he backed away from her.
"You've changed" he smiled.
"I'm not a little girl anymore" Silence fell over the pair as his smug eyes pierced her angry ones.
"Grace" Micheal smiled as he joined the pair in the garden "I've got a present for you" he smiled handing her the gift as he sat next to her.
"A book of fairy tales" she smiled at the book.
"The same one I used to read to you as a child" he smiled at her before he watched Robert disappear into the house "Is he bothering you?"
"No dad" she assured him "He just used to scare me as a kid is all. He still sees me as that scared little girl he once knew, and I still see him as the asshole I once knew" she smiled trying to assure him.
"Okay" he smiled back "But you need to stop with the bad language" Grace rolled her eyes yet smiled at her father.
"Okay dad"