Chapter 23

Grace drove through the dense wood with Lilly in the seat beside her. 
"Are you ready for this?" Grace asked her. 
"Yes. I don't get involved like this with cases often but, I'm ready" Lilly nodded bravely "The boss wants me to watch over you" Lilly admitted after a moment of silence. 
"He thinks that I'm going to get myself killed. He doesn't give me as much credit as I'm due. I'm going to find Nick's killer but I'll protect you Lilly. You've got nothing to worry about" Grace assured her with a kind smile, earning one back from her. Grace drove up to the iron gates that kept the community closed off from the world "Here goes nothing" Grace sighed deeply as a man with a rifle approached the car. 
"You ladies lost?" He asked, peering into the car.
"We heard about this place through a friend. A place for true believers he called it" Grace told him.
"What was that friend of yours called?" He asked.
"Nicholas Cabbot" she told him.
"Wait here" the man ordered before he marched off to talk to another man.
"This is scary" Lilly admitted.
"Just stick to your story and you'll be fine. I've got your back" Grace assured her with a kind smile as she squeezed her hand lightly. The man headed back over to their car and leant back into the window.
"Drive on up to the church" he ordered gruffly. Grace drove up to the church slowly, allowing them both time to prepare themselves for what was to come.
"Just breath and remember your story" Grace encouraged as she stopped his car outside of the church.
"How are you so good at this?" Lilly asked.
"I guess I'm just better at pretending than most people" Grace shrugged before she switched off the engine and climbed out of the car.
"Ladies" A man smiled at them as he descended the steps of the church towards them "I'm Hunter Croft. Welcome to our community" he smiled.
"Its a honour to meet you, I'm Grace" Grace smiled widely before she shook his hand. 
"This is Lilly, she's another lost soul, like me" Grace lied skilfully. 
"Well, you've found your place with us" Hunter smiled "Join us, were about to have our midday mass" he gestured towards the church behind him and the growing number of men, women and children that had begun to flock inside. 
"That sounds lovely" Grace smiled as she and Lilly followed him inside before they slipped into one of the back pews. Grace took in an inward sharpened breath earning her a glance from Lilly. 
"What is it? Nothing seems out of place" 
"No. It's not that. It's just been a long time since I was in a church" Grace reminded her with a gentle smile. 
"If I can do this, so can you" Lilly assured her with a gentle smile before she reached over and squeezed her hand lightly dropping it as Hunter began his sermon. 
"My children, my flock. We have gathered here by gods grace to celebrate everything he has given to us, one of those being two new members to add to our family" Hunter smiled motioning towards Grace and Lilly as the flock turned to look at them "We have so much to be thankful for. Chronicles 16:34, give thanks to the lord for he is good, his love endures forever" Hunter read out "He also said be fruitful and multiply" he smiled, his gaze falling onto Grace "Let us lead by his example and create our children of god that may spread his word and do right by our lord" he smiled once more at Grace before his gaze fell onto a young woman among the front row. 

"We need a way in" Grace whispered to Lilly as everyone began leaving the church slowly, one by one. 
"Ladies, my Amelia has persuaded me to offer up my home for you to stay in until we can get you properly situated" Hunter smiled at them, his arm wrapped around a young girl, no older than 16. 
"We would be honoured" Lilly smiled kindly, her eyes darting around as she avoided meeting their eyes. 
"I'll get started on dinner right away" Amelia's eyes lit up before she ran off and out of the church. 
"I'll see you both tonight" Hunter smiled, heading off in the same direction as the young girl. 
"That's our way in" Grace smiled triumphantly. 
"Its not his daughter" Lilly told her. 
"What do you mean its not his daughter?" 
"The way he looked at her. Amelia isn't his daughter" Lilly told her, heading out of the church, Grace following after her. 

Grace, Lilly, Hunter, Amelia and Madge sat around the dinner table of Hunter's home with plates of food covering the table from edge to edge. 
"This all looks wonderful" Lilly smiled as she looked dish from dish, her eyes darting all over the table. 
"I wish we could've helped" Grace said. 
"No need. The bible does say that wives must submit to their husbands" Amelia smiled. 
"Ephesians 5:22-33" Grace nodded "So your Hunter's wife?" Grace asked studying their faces for any micro expressions or changes in body language. 
"Her mother allowed it and we were married by a man of god" Hunter explained as Grace cast a glance at the older woman she visibly winced before she smiled back at Grace "Let's say grace. Will you do the honours Grace?" 
"Lord we thank you for the meal that we are about to receive. Please bless us and the company we keep, amen" Grace said out loud before they all began passing plates and bowels around the table as the wailing of a small child broke through the sound of clinking silverware. 
"Excuse me, Mary always gets fussy around now" Amelia excused herself before she ran off upstairs to care for the child. 
"Is Mary your daughter?" Lilly asked before she began eating. 
"Yes. Amelia and I had her a year after we got married" Hunter explained. 
"How old is Amelia?" Grace asked. 
"She's 16. We had Mary when she was 15. We were married when she was 14 with her mothers permission of course" Hunter explained, sensing the tense atmosphere "Why does that concern you? We are all gods children" he smiled. 
"Nick and I, we had a baby together when I was 15, I guess its just a bad memory for me" Grace shrugged lightly at her own confession. 
"Then it wasn't meant to be. God has a plan for all of his children" Hunter smiled as Amelia joined them once again. 
"The heart of man plan his way, but the lord establishes his steps" Grace recited from memory. 
"Proverbs 16:9" Hunter smirked at her from across the table "Young love is always the most potent" Hunter smiled as he filled his mouth with a forkful of food. 
"I don't believe I know the verse and chapter for that" Grace joked with a smiled, earning one back across the table from Hunter.