Chapter 44

"Did you know that Elliot sold the list to O'Reilly?" James asked Simon.
"I had my suspicions"
"So when Clara got here you knew that you couldn't trust her either"
"Clara and Grace were always thick at thieves. They trusted each other and not me. We were spies, we knew not to trust even our team" Simon told him.
"Someone we both care about is in trouble. I need the original profile from when Reilly was a terrorist"
"You took an oath to protect the laws of your country. I took an oath to keep it's secrets" Simon told him "Do you understand what you're asking?"
"I know it's not easy"
"I'll help you. But you need me to help you. Reilly will not go to prison without a fight and even if you catch him, he won't stay in it for long. The only way to stop a guy like him is to put a bullet between his eyes" Simon told him "Can you protect her?" He asked. James could see the tears and the fear in his eyes. Whatever was in their past, Simon was Grace's friend and he didn't want to lose her either.
"I'm going to do everything I can to save her" he assured him.
"Because you love her" Simon said and James nodded lightly "She loved him once, and it killed her. Not literally, but in every way it mattered. I may hate her some times, but she's a good friend. When this is all over, take care of her. She needs it" Simon told him.

"Cormac O'Reilly is a power assertive psychopath, highly controlling and very explosive if something doesn't go as planned" Simon told them.
"So how does that fit with who he is as a family annihilator?" Lorenzo asked.
"Annihilators have a romanticized view of who their family is" Lilly explained.
"He was never married. Had no children. No family" Simon told them.
"Maybe Michael Jones was a surrogate for one Reilly had. Say he did have a child that you didn't know about, is it possible that Grace knew?" James asked.
"Like I told you, she told Clara everything" Simon reminded him.
"Who was in the villa when Reilly was arrested?" Lilly asked.
"His staff. All Irish" Simon shrugged.
"That's a place to start" James nodded.

"When I spoke to Tony, he said that you already knew where I was. So, you know what this is about" Cormac told her as he pulled out a gun and pointed it at her head "It's time to confess your sins my love" he ordered loading the weapon.
"Take me to where they died" she muttered, surprising him. Grace let her eyes fall closed as she listened to the gun uncocking.

Caitlin felt the warm breeze from the open balcony window and the warm sun as she lay half away in her bed. Cormac had gotten up much earlier, leaving her alone to sleep in for as long as she wanted. Liam and Connor had other ideas as they came bounding into the bedroom, diving onto the bed and onto Caitlin.
"Good morning!" Connor shouted, springing Grace to life.
"Good morning munchkins" Caitlin smiled widely as she hugged them both.
"I told him to wake you up nicely" Liam told her.
"It's okay. So, what are we going to do today?" Caitlin asked them.
"Hello everyone" Cormac smiled as he entered the bedroom, placing a kiss to Grace's head before he ruffled Liam's hair.
"Hey honey" Caitlin smiled as he joined them on the bed.
"So, I asked your mother and she said you both can come with Caity and I for the day" Cormac told the boys earning cheers of excitement.
"So, what are we going to do today?" Caitlin asked Cormac with a smile.
"First, no work. Then, breakfast" he smiled.
"That sounds great" Caitlin sighed, kissing him.
"So, who wants pancakes?" Cormac asked earning smiles and hands up from all three of them.
After breakfast the four of them had spent the whole day at the beach playing in the sun.
"You look beautiful lying there" Cormac smiled down at her as Grace put down her book.
"You don't look so bad yourself" Grace smiled at him as he sat next to her on the sand "Thank you for today"
"We all needed it. The truth is that I brought you out here so that we could talk" He told her, watching as she played with the ring hanging from her neck.
"What about?"
"Us. The boys" they both looked over at the two small children that were building sandcastles "Do you ever think about that?" He asked.
"About having kids? It's a little hard with what we do don't you think?"
"Maybe you just need the right man to do it with?" He suggested "And two sons that are crazy about you" Grace froze for a moment at his words.
"I thought they were your housekeeper's"
"Georgette raises them so that no one can use them against me. But they're mine and they need a mother"
"I can't do that. Not here. Not like this" Caitlin shook her head thinking over his words.
"Then I'll get you out" he suggested.
"Or I can get you out. I have resources, contacts, they'd be safer. And they'd have a father" she suggested.
"You know what I am. I am a soldier, raising warriors. I can't just leave" he told her.
"Your a father that has a chance to give your sons freedom and you would rather them have your life? A life on the run, always looking over their shoulders? You want me to raise your sons so that they can have your life?"
"Is it that bad a life?"
"They're are so many things I would do to make you happy" she assured him as the boys called her over to play "But this isn't one of them" she told him as she got up and headed over to the boys, helping them build their castles.

"I never told anyone the truth about the boys, you're the only one that knew and you put it in your profile didn't you?" He asked, walking her through the abandoned factory.
"Yes"
"For three years I didn't talk and the Russians used everything you gave them against me. It wasn't until they showed me these-" Cormac pulled out a picture of Georgette dead next to the boys "They laughed at me as I wept. You caused all this didn't you?"
"Yes, I did" she admitted.
"That corner right there is where they died and that's where I'm going to kill you" he threatened her before he pushed her to the ground.
"There's something that you don't know about those photos" Grace announced as Cormac pointed his gun at her.

"Liam and Connor Rodgers. They settled in Virginia three years ago along with their adoptive guardian Georgette Rodgers" Sadie read out.
"Yeah, Georgette was Reilly's housekeeper" Simon told them.
"Are they still alive?" James asked.
"Georgette and her sons went missing three years ago. Wait... someone took pictures of them being shot" Sadie frowned as she brought up the pictures.
"Have you got a location?" James asked.
"It's an old factory" Sadie told him.

"After your arrest I relocated all three of them. And then I got a call. Interpol had sent back our profile. The head of the terrorism division wanted more dirt on you so they could break you" she explained.
"So you used my sons to get a promotion?"
"No" she shook her head in disgust "I wouldn't let the boys be used a pawns. The things they would've done to them to get you to talk" Grace shook her head "But I knew that even if I didn't cooperate they were going to find them eventually. So, I had to-"
"Had to what!?" He step closer to her, his gun pointing at her.
"I had to end their suffering before it could begin" she told him earning a hit from his gun across her cheek "What did you do!?" He asked grabbing her, pulling her to her feet "You put them in the profile. What else did you do?"
"I put them in the profile after those pictures were taken" she told him through the stinging pain in her cheek.
"You don't know when those pictures were taken. You can't know that" he bit.
"Yes, I do. I'm the one holding the gun" she told him, seeing the tears fill his eyes. Cormac grabbed her by the hair and flung her across the room before she fell to the floor.
"You wanna hear Liam's last words?" She asked earning a swift kick to her stomach "he said 'I looked pretty good for a dead kid, didn't I' and then he got on a plane with Connor and I never saw them again" Grace told him.
"Their alive!?" He yelled, kicking her again, earning a groan from her.
"Just because I pointed a gun at them doesn't mean that I shot them. I loved those boys just as much as you" she reminded him "I only had to make you and the Russians believe that they were dead" Grace told him. He grabbed her throwing her against another wall.
"I know you're lying" he bit before Grace grabbed at him, making him drop his gun. She knocked him to the ground, wrapping her tied hands around his throat.
"I gave both of the boys their lives back" she told him.
"I'll find them" he grunted.
"No, you won't" she laughed "Ever since you told me that my team had Tony, I've been stalling you" she laughed before Cormac pulled free from her grasp and reached for the gun, they began pulling for it when the power cut out and two shots rang out.
"Where are they? Where are my boys?" He asked as Grace fell to the floor "Tell me. Tell me where they are" He begged, hearing more shots ring out outside.

"Grace!" Lilly ran to her side, seeing her friend lying on the ground, the pool of blood around her growing every second.
"We've got her in the basement. South side" Marco said over the walkie.
"Lilly. Marco. I'm so sorry" Grace managed to get out.
"Save your energy. We'll get you out" Marco assured her.
"Let me go" Grace muttered.
"We know what you did for Liam and Connor. I'm so proud of you, you have nothing to feel sorry for" Marco assured her.
"We're going to help you" Lilly assured her. Grace managed to grab Marco's hand and squeeze it lightly.
"Tell him...I'm sorry" Grace muttered before her hand dropped from his as she faded away into the darkness.