Episode 20.3 - Border Settlement

"William?" Sid's voice. A strange feeling of deja vu. "William?!"

He groaned, opening his eyes and coming face-to-face with the wulfrum goggles Sid wore.

"You got knocked out after it hit you then," he was saying. "Good thing its health was low. My minions were able to finish it off." He stretched out a gloved hand.

William took it and allowed himself to be helped to his feet. He could see parts of the Hive Mind were still strewn about, purple gore everywhere that was gradually fading out of existence.

That had been an intense battle, and not just due to the Hive Mind itself. Those visions it had made him see... what were they?

He'd seen one while having that picnic with Robyn, but had dismissed it long ago, wondering if it had just been his imagination, wishing so much that he could find a way back to real life.

But what the Hive Mind had shown him... its tendrils making contact with him had opened up parts of his mind he'd never known were there.

A life he'd had.

A young daughter.

A... wife.

I'm married? he exclaimed to himself internally.

It seemed impossible... but perfectly reasonable.

He could remember the real world. So could Sid and Robyn. But he had never been able to remember anything about his life.

About who he was.

Or who he had.

As friends.

Or family.

He shook the thoughts from his head, trying to focus on Sid and the world at hand.

"Did it drop anything?" he asked.

"This sword for you. It's named the Perfect Dark." He held up a large sword with a dark indigo blade.

It reminded William of the Night's Edge he'd once crafted. A sword that had served him well, before being crafted into the True Night's Edge, then the Terra Blade, and then the Zenith that Lord Yharim had stolen.

"Thank you," William said, taking the blade.

"It also dropped some Demonite Bars and Rotten Matter," Sid added. "I checked the Recipe Browsing Tablet, and there is one summon weapon. The Dank Staff, which is just the coolest name ever. Still really low summon damage, but it must be good. Unfortunately it said it could only be crafted at a Demon Altar."

"A Demon Altar?" William repeated. "Do we need to go all the way to the Underworld to find one of those?"

"I don't think so. The tablet was kind enough to show me a picture of one, and I think I remember seeing one down one of the chasms we covered up."

"Okay, let's go."

***

Robyn stood, panting, staring at the carnaged remains of the Perforator Hive and the last worm it had unleashed.

She watched as Meg and the citizens sifted through the drops, but she herself was too stiff to move. That rogue had unleashed the hive upon them.

Was this person just going to keep trying to hunt them? Attacking them and unleashing hideous creatures for them to fight?

She had a painful flashback to when she'd been cursed by the Lunatic Cultist. At first her memories of being cursed had been a jumble, but they'd slowly put themselves back together, and she'd become aware, one by one, of the horrible deeds she'd done while under those effects. Unleashing bloody monsters from the lake during a Blood Moon, then a fish-dragon from the ocean during a storm. And the Golfer and the Mechanic, two citizens, had both died by her hands.