Episode 31.3 - Universal Collapse

The Devourer of Gods burst from the star in a massive cosmic blast.

Except now it was even bigger than before.

The spikes on its side were more profound, coming out in ridged blades. More gems were speckled across its body, pink ones in addition to the blue ones. Its tail looked like it contained a universe, a swirling pink-and-blue galaxy rotating within, supposedly being a source of power. Its mouth was layered with glowing magenta teeth, and those jaws looked even sharper and more deathly than before.

The sheer size in comparison to its previous form overwhelmed Robyn with the slightest gaze. Not to mention the fact that it seemed to be much longer.

There was no use complaining, though. All she could do was keep fighting.

She ran along a platform, the Devourer chasing straight after her. She didn't react in time to the pink fireball that shot from its mouth, taking some damage and being set ablaze again. She jumped to dodge the next one, then flew upwards as the Devourer accelerated past where she'd been running, then flying backwards firing arrows at its body as it passed beneath her.

That was when the laser-grid started firing.

Bright beams lit up briefly around Robyn, followed by laser bolts firing down all the beams. In the first volley she was hit. She was still struggling how to process the attack as a second grid fired around her, and she was hit again. Then a third grid. She tried to move to the side to avoid the lines from one direction but was still hit by a laser bolt coming from below.

Blast! She felt like if the Devourer did this attack again she might be able to dodge it, but the learning process had cost her a lot of health. To make matters worse, she saw another pulsing white star in the air. What was happening now?

There was a loud ethereal roar, and the Devourer suddenly disappeared, only to be now emerging from the star. It charged towards her, more purple fireballs firing at her. She fired more typhoon arrows at it, dealing more damage, but based on how deathly this boss fight had been it felt like it would be eons until it went down. She saw Renee was chasing its tail now, hammering it with her Valediction, the thrown shark fins homing in on it for quite a considerable amount of damage.

The Devourer started turning partially transparent, only the pink and blue gems on its side remaining fully opaque to telegraph where it was, and then another laser-grid flashed around her.

It must've turned invisible like this during the first set of grids as well, but she hadn't noticed it. She fared better this time – dodged the first, misstepped on the second, but evaded the third.

Another star, another teleport. Except this time it was flying straight upwards, away from both Robyn and Renee.

"It's flying up to the planetoid!" Renee exclaimed.

Robyn glanced up in horror to realise she was right.

***

Sid ran to the planetoid entrance, eager to rejoin the fight now that his health had regenerated, only for the Devourer to burst up through the floor and straight through him.

"Good luck recovering from that!"

He was knocked to the side. No! My fully topped-up health! He pointed his summons towards its body, causing them to go on the attack. But then he saw it was curving around and burrowing straight into the planetoid, blasting into the entrance chamber and towards him.

"Cac!" Sid exclaimed, his mind reverting to basic monosyllabic swearing. He leapt upwards, avoiding the Devourer's charge and the fireballs spurting from its mouth. A grid of lasers appeared around him, but being experienced in a similar attack from the Empress Light, he simply accelerated himself extremely far upwards, out of the grid's reach.