Episode 28.4 - Unholy Insurgency

A winged shadow fell upon them.

In the sky it was as though a second sun had appeared. Something massive, brown-skinned like the Profaned Guardians, with moth-like wings made of solar flares. Pearl crystals protruding from the shoulders and embedded in the stomach.

At the head, two small but burning eyes. The eyes seeking out those that had slain its guardians.

Providence, the Profaned Goddess, had arrived.

"Holy cactus," Sid said, drawing out every syllable. "That's got to be the biggest boss we've fought since Cthulhu..."

Robyn looked to where she'd seen the Cultist, but the blue-robed figure had vanished.

We've got a much bigger problem to deal with, though, she thought as Providence descended upon them.

The sky seemed to have turned yellow from the very heat of the goddess. The Hallowed grass was desaturated in the heat, and the Kingdom of Fab ruins looked like they might melt if pushed over.

Robyn began firing her Planetary Annihilation, blasting Providence with multicoloured beams. Sid's summons all attacked and lashed while Renee threw her Elemental Disk. The disk splitting caused the damage to stack up quite a lot across Providence's large form, crystalline sounds constantly resounding from Profaned Goddess taking damage, but her 600,000 health meant she wasn't going down anytime soon.

For every new boss they faced, it felt like their health values got higher and higher exponentially. How much more extreme could things get?

Robyn was so caught up that she didn't even notice Providence had started attacking, and it was in a way more subtle than one might expect. Small flames, burning off from Providence's wings, were left in the air, which hung for a few moments before flying downward towards them in a wave of fire. She was hit by one... then two flames, for a bit of damage, but her body was set ablaze by the yellow fire as a result, causing her health to only continue dropping.

Providence flew mostly high in the air, now dropping larger fireballs that exploded into smaller flames upon impacting the ground. She eventually seemed to close herself into a shell, her fiery wings disappearing and crystals becoming buried by rock-hard skin. Then she started firing glowing yellow spears similar to what one of the Profaned Guardians had, except much more dense, with a few being fired in streams directly at Sid and Renee. It also seemed like her shelling up caused her to take much less damage from attacks based on the damage numbers that were popping up.

Robyn remembered the Brimstone Elemental had had an attack pattern like this, but based on the amount of glowing spears that were being launched, she felt like she'd rather face five Brimstone Elementals than this one Profaned Goddess.

Providence soon opened back up again to resume her previous attack patterns, but Robyn found herself accidentally firing into one of the glowing spears that still hung in the air.

She tried landing on the ground, groaning from the very air, which felt like it was burning. She wiped a hand across her sweaty face, then blinked as she realised the Cultist from earlier was standing on the grass about fifty blocks away, its hood turned towards her.

She took a step towards the Cultist, but one exploding fireball landing in front of her later, the Cultist seemed to have disappeared.

She decided to ignore it and took to the air again. Providence was now firing orange-coloured fireballs that exploded into globs of molten substance that scattered across the Hallowed grass and turned it into a fiery hot minefield. She saw Sid accidentally land on one of the globs and get set ablaze.

"Ow! My tootsies!"

"Tootsies? Who in Terraria even says tootsies?" his Brimstone Elemental grumbled.