Episode 30.4 - void

Robyn was sinking deeper than what she could have believed possible.

She hadn't passed any ledges in ages. This area, wherever she was, was just empty space, the water so dense and thick she could feel it pressing in through her suit. The light from her Ocean Spirit light pet was barely showing anything beyond in comparison to when she'd been closer to the surface. Her air level was running down faster than it had previously too. From the rate the percentage was ticking down on a readout on her arm, she guessed she had enough air remaining for four minutes.

She felt as vulnerable as though she was driving a car through a snowy storm. Barely able to see anything ahead of her, but the instant something did show itself in view, there'd be nothing she could do.

Then she heard a roar.

She'd heard it before. It was unmistakable – the roar of an Eidolon Wyrm.

Seconds later she could see it, as brightly as though being this deep in the Abyss wasn't causing any vision problems at all. Almost as though its glow was beckoning to her.

But she knew better. She wasn't here to start a fight. She was here to find the secret.

Though in reality... a part of her felt soothed by its appearance. It was a beautiful creature. It was made up of layers of glowing blue crystals along a long black body. Its head had two horn-like structures that protruded backwards to each side with a yellow crystal embedded in each.

She turned her head to the other side just in time to realise a second wyrm was swimming alongside her.

This one seemed to be heading straight downward.

What was it that the Eidolist had told her? They knew about the secret weapon that was hidden at the bottom of the Abyss from communing with these wyrms. Through their partial transformation into this species.

She looked to its head as she sunk past it, seeing familiar golden eyes embedded around an open mouth. Eyes she had once feared from her nightmares, but which she now found comfort in.

"Wayfinder."

The voice jolted her, almost causing her to flail her arms in the water – something that for all she knew could have angered the very creatures she was trying to not anger.

"Tell me what do you seek?"

Was the voice talking to her? She had no idea how she was going to talk back. Then she reminded herself that the Eidolist back at the Dungeon had been able to look into her mind. If one of the Eidolon Wyrms was... somehow talking with her... surely they could do the same?

I seek the secret at the bottom of the Abyss, she earnestly thought.

The Eidolon Wyrm next to her made no motion in response besides a slight rotation of its head.

"What do you seek?"

I just told you... Did you hear me?

"I heard you, Wayfinder. I do not believe your answer to encompass your complete desires. So tell me... what do you seek?"

She wasn't sure. And what did Wayfinder mean? Why was the wyrm calling her that?

"Those that commune with our kind are named for their fates," was the response.

"My fate?" Robyn said out loud into her helmet.

The voice didn't elaborate. "What do you seek, Wayfinder?"

She racked her brains. I seek... the weapon at the bottom of the Abyss.

The wyrm took a few seconds longer than normal to respond, making Robyn feel on edge, fearing it would attack her for asking such a direct question, but the response was simply: "And beyond that?"