Episode 35.1 - Confessions of Fighters

"Robyn?" It sounded like Sid. "Robyn!"

She stirred, and opened her eyes.

She remembered Calamitas attacking them. Getting blasted by one of her attacks, then she'd been slammed into something.

She must've gotten knocked out, but somehow... something had forcibly kept her inside her head. Inside her unconsciousness. Something dark, shadowy, with a tight grip.

But that was all gone now.

"Sid..." she murmured, getting to her feet. "What did you do with..."

She trailed off when she saw Calamitas standing behind him. She almost screamed, then fumbled for her bow and drew back its string at her.

"Wait!" Sid cried, holding up his hands. "It's okay. I bested her in combat."

"Then why didn't you kill her?"

"I can't do that," Sid said. "She's Meg."

"For the last time, I'm not Meg!" Calamitas shouted.

Sid spun to her. "But would you rather be Meg?"

She was silent, then looked down at her hands, seeming to ponder that question.

Robyn herself had almost forgotten too who Calamitas had once been to them.

She'd never completely gotten along with Meg, and once she'd found out it had all been an act all along, that had only made her think even less of her.

But... she found herself thinking back to her backstory. How Calamitas had once tried to betray Yharim by setting the Golem loose, only to be cursed into coming back. How he had left her in the Nexus, in the guise of Meg, solely for the purposes of preventing Cthulhu from regaining full strength. Calamitas had only ever been a piece on the chessboard for Yharim.

But as Meg... she'd been a valued fighter. Her hidden life experience had contributed to her being just as stubborn and ferocious as Sid.

Did she deserve redemption?

Robyn lowered her bow. "Okay. Are you going to help us take down Yharim? Free yourself from his hold?"

"I have enough power left to imbue some enchantments in your weapons," Calamitas said. "But none to fight... him."

Robyn saw Sid give a slight frown. "But Meg..."

"It's down to you," Calamitas said firmly. "I won't stand in your way anymore. He'll be at the Central Nexus Tower." She pointed up at the tower that loomed in the distance next to the Forest Village.

"Meg..."

"Just go," she said. "Face him."

Sid kept staring at her. At her grey skin, her shoulder-length silver hair, her pale red eyes. She looked nothing like Meg, but he couldn't help seeing her there.

"I still love you, you know," Sid said.

Calamitas seemed to stiffen. Robyn took a step backwards, turning away awkwardly.

"After you left Secondworld, and Robyn and I had to open up our own portal to get here, through all those battles... I just couldn't stop thinking about you."

Calamitas shook her head. "Then you're stupid to think that. It wasn't real."

"According to Yharim, this whole world isn't real. Yet, we're still fighting for it. We're fighting to have the choice in how and where we live." He held out his hand. "If you join us... you can choose who to be. You don't have to be Meg, but you don't have to be Calamitas either. You can just be you."