Episode 29.3 - Intentions and Motivations

The Eidolist floated down, away from the ledge and down to the Dungeon floor below.

As it did, Robyn heard murmuring from beside her.

"Renee?"

The rogue sat up. "Are we lost souls now?"

Robyn shook her head. "No, I took down Polterghast. But this... Eidolist... it just showed up. It wants us to follow it."

"A what-a-list?"

Robyn looked down. The Eidolist stared back up at them, waiting for them to follow.

***

The Eidolist led them down several more Dungeon tunnels, through candlelit rooms and around spiky walls and floors.

It soon took them into a chamber where upon one of the walls a painting depicting the Brain of Cthulhu was hung. An eerie feeling entered Robyn, remembering back in Firstworld she'd been cursed while in a room with that same painting.

What was she walking into? Were the Secondworld Cultists about to curse her like before?

They were clearly connected with the Cultists Robyn knew from Firstworld. That was all she knew.

The Eidolist turned around and made a beckoning motion with a flap of its Cultist robe. "Sit."

Robyn looked to where a table and two chairs were set up. It was against her better judgement, but she walked over and sat down on one of the old seats. Renee sat on the other.

As she did, more Eidolists started to appear in the room, an array of blue faces and tails all staring at her. Robyn instinctively reached for one of her bows.

"There is no need for that," the Eidolist that was leading them said.

"Who the hell even are you?" Renee asked. "The convention of the creepy squid-faces?"

"Many cultures would consider that remark to be offensive," the Eidolist said with no emotion. "We are simply showing our gratitude."

"Gratitude?"

"For too long we have been confined to the Dungeon. Unable to leave, or to maintain much of a proper, corporeal existence because of the amalgamation of souls."

"You mean Polterghast?" Robyn asked.

"Correct. Because you managed to exorcise it, we can be free for the first time in years."

Robyn looked among the other Eidolists uneasily, wondering not for the first time if they'd made a mistake coming here.

"There was once a time when we were human like you," the Eidolist continued. "After Yharim threw us into this Dungeon, we had to commune with the Eidolon Wyrms in the nearby Abyss, transforming ourselves into partially formed wyrms, in order to stay off the Polterghast's radar."

Robyn looked the Eidolist up and down. She remembered encountering a single Eidolon Wyrm that one time she'd gone down into the Abyss with Sid. It had been so large and frightening, but she'd barely even gotten a glimpse of its entire form.

"You still haven't answered my question," Renee said.

The Eidolist tipped its head. "We are a sect of sorcerers who utilise our magical ability to keep the worlds in their natural order."

"Your counterparts in the world I come from weren't like that," Robyn said. "There the Lunatic Cultist tried to resurrect Cthulhu and get him to destroy the world."

"Then you are unaware of the Lunatic's true intentions," the Eidolist replied. "We sent him to the Nexus for a reason."

He was sent? To Firstworld?