Episode 24.3 - R'LYEH

Renee stood at her Orichalcum Anvil, crafting together a new weapon made from materials she'd found while scourging through the Underground Jungle. Chlorophyte, Plague Cell Canisters, and some Nanites. The latter she'd had a stockpile kept in her safe, a remnant of the materials her clan had had access to.

The Epidemic Shredder. A glaive with two parallel blades on each side, constructed from the green Chlorophyte, with a red eye blinking in the centre of the weapon. Throwing it like a boomerang would cause it to unleash plague seekers that could infect enemies.

But it was just another weapon. She had no power, not since the Tyrant had slain her master. Not since his forces had massacred every other member of her clan. Perhaps it was a small mercy that the Tyrant had been absent from this world for so long. Renee had had hope, hope that with the Slime God's help, she could rebuild the clan, restore it to what it once was.

But four of Yharim's servants had re-entered this world. They had completely destroyed the Slime God, taking away any chance it had of restoring itself. What they were up to now, Renee could not be sure. But she knew

Then she heard it.

The metallic sounds of plague enemies getting hit and destroyed.

Swords swinging and slicing through jungle foliage and enemies alike.

A series of explosions, the heat of which Renee could feel even from the hollow she was hiding in.

Something was near.

Someone.

She picked up her anvil and risked a peek to the side, gazing out at the large, open cavern nearby. It was dark save for the green light of jungle spores and the faint pink glow of a solitary Plantera bulb.

Then she spotted torchlight entering the cavern. Crystal-blue armour with purple shards sticking out from the shoulders.

It was the mage. With her, was the warrior. She'd only seen him once, when they'd all taken down the Slime God.

Her armour's stealth would keep her hidden, but she still felt uneasy as the two of them searched the cavern. She hoped none of the Chlorophyte veins she'd dug out would alert them to her presence, but neither of them seemed to notice, completely oblivious to the rogue who was watching them.

Once the cavern was fully lit with torchlight, the two of them approached the Plantera bulb. The warrior smushed it with a pickaxe, and Renee began to feel the jungle around her rumble.

The familiar sight of a Plantera emerged from one of the cavern walls, and the two of them went on the attack. With the calculated grace and movements of lots of fighting experience. As though they not only knew how to tackle Planteras, but were seasoned veterans of conflict in general. Their weapons looked powerful, the mage using a spell tome that fired exploding red brimstone blasts while the warrior swung a massive obsidian-grey sword lined with purple and pink jewels.

This could be another opportunity to strike at them, she thought. Like when she had attacked during the Acid Rain. But no. Plantera was clearly no match for them.

And she still felt shaken after her encounter with the mage.

There was something... unsettling about her power.

***

It was a cleave from William's Forbidden Oathblade, cutting down Plantera's jaw, that finally destroyed the boss. It burst apart into botanical matter.

Items rushed into William's inventory. Living Shards. A bow named the Blossom Flux – Robyn would love that.

"Let's get mining," Meg said, pulling out her Pickaxe Axe. The defeat of Calamitas had somehow caused Hallowed Ore to get generated underground in a similar way to the Cryonic Ore that had appeared after taking down Cryogen. And now they had just defeated Plantera as, according to the Witch Doctor, doing so would similarly spawn in Perennial Ore, one of the other ores they needed for Life Alloys.