Episode 24.4 - Fly of Beelzebub

She couldn't defeat them.

She was just one person. One sole member of the Statigel clan. The only one standing between this world and Yharim's will.

All her options at defence had been exhausted. There was only one thing she could think of doing, one she had long hoped she'd never have to dare.

She would have to awaken an airborne abomination.

***

William swung his new Omniblade. Like the Forbidden Oathblade he had recently crafted, it was a massive sword. It didn't shoot projectiles, instead emanating a large slashing particle. It had been crafted by upgrading a Katana using Life Alloys and another material named Cores of Calamity.

Cores were crafted using the three essences (Chaos, Eleum and Sunlight) and some ectoplasm from the Dungeon, which he and Meg had stopped by after mining Perennial Ore.

But the Omniblade was really just the tip of the iceberg. The new materials they had obtained opened up so many new craftable weapons for all of them. William himself had upgraded his Fractured Ark to the Ark of the Ancients. Robyn had upgraded her Lunarian Bow to the Cosmic Bolter and had again used some Scoria Bars to craft the Continental Greatbow, which fired powerful volleys that inflicted a variety of different effects. Meg was now the proud owner of the Tears of Heaven spell tome (upgraded from her Frigidflash Bolt), the Terra Ray (like the Terra Blade but a wand instead) and the extremely explosive Forbidden Sun. Sid's collection of summons had expanded to butterflies (the Resurrection Butterfly), decaying flowers (the Wither Blossom Staff), undersea mines (Dreadmine Staff) and a miniature Plantera (Plantation Staff).

As for armour, there was only enough leftover Scoria to craft two sets of armour. William and Meg donned the sets, while Robyn upgraded to a different set named the Plague Reaper armour, crafted from the Plague Cell Canisters that plague-infected swarm she and William had encountered at the jungle lab.

And there was one more very important thing...

"Moment of truth," William said. "It's time to decode the schematic that had come all the way from the underworld lab."

He'd been able to use Life Alloys to finally craft the Advanced Display for the Codebreaker, which could decode said schematic. He had no idea if there were any more labs beyond the four they'd found, so he had hopes that this could be the end. This schematic could very well hold the secret to travelling between worlds.

To returning to Firstworld.

He slid the schematic into the machine.

***

Renee ran as fast as she could through the jungle.

The Goliath was not far behind her, its infrared vision enabling it to track her even through her stealth. However, she was able to dodge and weave around its relentless volley of plague stingers and bombs while still keeping the pursuit going towards her destination, which came into view ahead.

Her clan's former sanctuary. She was going to have to desecrate the last standing ruins of her clan in order to keep the world free of Yharim's hold.

***

The schematic was maybe 30% complete when William heard a string of beeps and boops, but oddly sounding like they were coming from outside.

Then, the loud bang.

On running outside, he saw the sky – which had been bright with daylight just minutes before – had turned pitch-black. The entire town was bathed in a greenish tint not unlike radioactivity.