Episode 29.1 - Phantom Emotions

Renee did her best not to lose Robyn in the sky as she ran after her. She did some expert slinging with her grappling hook, using it to propel herself faster and faster. Soon she was running directly underneath Robyn. A Scorn Eater leapt in front of Renee, which she threw her Molten Amputator at. The profaned golden scythe had dropped from Providence upon her death. It emanated a burst of molten globs that set the Scorn Eater ablaze, causing it to writhe in fury. Renee leapt right over it and kept chasing after Robyn. Robyn hadn't seemed to have noticed her, despite Renee calling her name.

It was almost as though she was in some sort of trance.

Something was up with her. She'd seemed suicidal earlier, but her mood hadn't been like this.

They soon left the Hallow, coming into an ordinary green forest, but then they emerged into a clearing.

Ahead was a large pink building, its entrance held up by pillars of brick, battlements crenellated across its roof. A landmark that was as recognisable as it was deathly.

Why is Robyn heading into the Dungeon?

***

"Hellooooo Sid!" James the Clothier called.

"Where's Robyn and Renee?" Roxanne the Stylist asked.

Sid wiped his face and looked about the planetoid lab entrance. "I'm not sure. We got attacked by Providence the Profaned Goddess in the Hallow, but Robyn seemed to pass out while we were fighting her. Then afterward, when she woke up, she just... flew off. I asked Renee to follow her, though..."

He left them and headed to the room where the Codebreaker was set up. Whitney the Steampunker was tinkering with one of the Power Cell Factories, and he was surprised to also see Amber the Bandit there.

"Howdy," she said.

"Hey," Sid replied. "Good news is, I found Uelibloom. It spawned in the jungle. Turns out defeating Providence was what caused it to appear."

"Seems like a lot of ores in this world are like that," the Steampunker said.

Video game design, Sid thought to himself. Same thing with the ethereal voice he had heard letting him know about the so-called 'fossilised tree bark.'

He stepped over to an Adamantite Forge and smelted the Uelibloom ore into bars. The first thing he did was craft a set of Tarragon Armour, which used Uelibloom and also some of the Divine Geodes that Providence had dropped.

Once he had coated himself in the brown-and-green tree-bark armour, he turned to the sole remaining unencrypted Schematic. Using more of the Uelibloom he crafted a Voltage Regulation System, and set it up on the Codebreaker.

This is it. Their schematic hunt was over. Yharim may have taken William and Meg from them, killed Permafrost, and trapped them in Secondworld, but Sid was determined to get revenge. Never had he ever felt more hard-set on a goal.

He couldn't help thinking about Yharim's promise of a portal to real life, though. Sid had basically known from the start that this video game world was just that – a video game. A virtual reality that had been fabricated inside the real one. And Yharim claimed that Firstworld – the Nexus – was the only world where a portal to real life could be made.

He had his doubts about how much of what Yharim had said was true, though. Yharim had used Calamitas – Meg – to deceive them all. Who wasn't to say that he had done the same thing to trick William?

We'll know for sure once we get back to Firstworld and kick his shiny golden butt.

He slid the final Schematic into the Codebreaker.