Episode 30.1 - nuclear monsoon

"You all suited up?" Sid asked.

"Just a second... okay!" Robyn came out from the shelter. She was dressed in a dark grey diving suit, vertical visors on her helmet glowing a faint yellow. The suit was plated with luminite, designed to protect her from creatures of the deep and also weigh her down enough that her plunge to the bottom would be swift.

She followed Sid onto the wooden platform that bridged across the Sulphurous Sea. The suit's luminite weighting made her feel extremely sluggish, barely able to take off into the air. But that was okay. The only way was down.

She felt her insides screaming at that. Why had she, of all people, chosen to volunteer to be the one to reach the bottom of the Abyss and collect whatever was down there? Sid or even Renee could have done it as easily.

But this felt personal to her. Lord Yharim had taken William away, not just in body, but in mind. And he'd done it through a lie, through deception. Robyn needed to take him back.

And besides, if she couldn't even have the courage to deep-dive all the way down the Abyss, how was she going to face off against Yharim?

Renee met them ahead, who gave a slight nod at Robyn. Robyn knew Renee and Sid had equipped the crests that had dropped from the Aquatic and Desert Scourges, which would grant them some underwater breathing down there. But not forever, and certainly not for as long as the Abyssal Diving Suit that Robyn wore. They would have no choice but to magic mirror out once their breath ran too low. The plan was that Sid and Renee would drop down with her, and divert the attention of any mega beasties down there. At least, the first few they encountered, so that Robyn could get as far down as she could.

And find the Eidolist's Weapon. That was what she was calling it in her mind. She knew nothing about what lay at the bottom besides what the Eidolist had told her.

"You all set?" Renee asked.

Robyn nodded. "Let's do this."

"There's no big deal if we can't get down there on the first try," Sid said. "If we rush this, we will die."

The three of them held out their Gills Potions.

"On three," Sid said. "One... two..."

He was interrupted by the hard raindrop plipping onto his helmet.

Seconds later a downpour had started. Bright teal, the sky turning dark.

And a giant green monster leaping at them. Shaped kind of like a mantis crossed with a spider.

Sid and Renee leapt to the side. Robyn, trapped in her Abyssal Diving Suit, was unable to jump to avoid the monster slamming right through her, cracking the armour plates on the suit with a visibly loud clank.

She grit her teeth, de-equipping the diving suit so she could move freely again. Underneath she was wearing Bloodflare Armour, a new suit which she and Renee had upgraded to. It had been crafted from Phantoplasm and Ruinous Souls dropped from Polterghast. She took to the skies with her Seraph Tracers, leaping over the Nuclear Terror that was attacking them and firing at it using her Telluric Glare. The Nuclear Terror scampered to one of the small islands that the wooden bridge connected to, planted its spindly feet into the sulphuric dirt, and started spurting out streams of glowing green globs. Three of them – each pointed at Sid, Renee and Robyn respectively.

Robyn kept firing, but was hit out of the sky by a wicked green laser firing into the air. She fell next to a Gamma Slime, the gelatinous blob having a sulphuric growth mounted on top of it that had been emanating said laser. She fired a few arrows at it to burst it into goop, then turned her attention back to the Nuclear Terror.