Episode 26.1 - The Heaven-Sent Abomination

"What is this place?" William murmured as he took one small step from the water onto infected sand.

Sid grabbed out his pickaxe and dug into a block of grass.

"Astral Dirt. Let's call it the Astral biome."

"Amazing name. You should get a prize," the Brimstone Elemental said, sounding sarcastic.

William didn't feel inclined to argue.

"We've got enemies inbound," Meg said.

He looked ahead. There were a series of enemies approaching them, each silver in colour but studded with crystals of blue and bursts of orange energy propelling the flying ones through the air.

The Sightseers were the first to swoop towards them, but they were slow, and their weapons defeated them quickly. Some creatures named Aries and Mantis were next, the Aries leaping towards them in bounds while the Mantises accelerated forward on several spindly legs. William slashed through one Mantis with his Ark of the Ancients and then leapt upwards to hit a Sightseer out of the sky.

Sid had taken off the Rose Stone to stop the Brimstone Elemental from commenting on everything he did, just using his butterflies to attack enemies. He watched as they took apart an Astral Slime, which was coloured a bulbous orange on one side which faded to that aqua in the other. The colour scheme reminded him of the faceplate of the rogue's helmet when she'd attacked them back at the Sulphurous Sea.

I wonder if she got the materials to make that armour from here?

His next opponent was a large, hulking being named an Atlas. It had four eyes on its face – two orange, two blue – but its most distinctive feature was that one of its arms was massively oversized and was constantly pressing into the ground, basically being used as a third leg.

While his butterflies went on the attack William rushed up to it with his sword. The Atlas reared up its arm and tried to swing at him with it. He blocked the attack with his Ark of the Ancients, then proceeded to swing himself, the creature too big and slow to block. It had enough health that it didn't die in just a few blows like the other enemies, but it still fell quickly.

After the initial wave of enemies they pressed forward. Robyn used her Seeking Mechanism again, and it arced towards the sky at about a forty-degree angle.

The lab was close. Above this very biome.

They passed more of those dark monoliths, but aside from that the terrain was almost completely flat. No major hills or anything.

They soon came to a clearing, nothing but a completely flat plain ahead. Sid looked up at the sky again, seeing that the purple cloud cover was still omnipresent overhead.

If the lab was somewhere up there, how were they going to be able to see it? Only the Seeking Mechanism could even tell them where it was. And who knew what enemies could be lurking in wait up there?

It'll be worth it once we get to that lab.

"Sid." Meg's voice. "There's something ahead."

He looked down, seeing William and Robyn running ahead. He saw what they must've spotted. Actually, two things.

The first was some sort of floating structure. It was constructed entirely from monolith blocks, shaped with a large bottom, a pillar extending up to some sort of altar, dual spikes of monolith blocks spoking up on either side.

The second was easier to miss but much more colourful. It looked like some sort of crater in the ground, and was formed completely from colourful orange-and-aqua material. It was located a short distance to the left of the floating structure.