Episode 32.1 - Revengeance and Death

Mounted on a stone brick wall were two wooden weapon racks. The first contained the Valediction, the second the Ghoulish Gouger. In between them was a mannequin displaying a set of Bloodflare Armour. In front of it was a long slab of stone, below which the rest of her items were contained. At the head of the slab, the tombstone had been relocated, and a more profound inscription was written upon it.

Here lies Renee.

Last surviving member of the Statigel Clan.

Loyal and unwavering to her cause.

Fell in battle, sacrificing herself to bring the Devourer of Gods down to a critical amount of health.

May she rest in peace.

Robyn still couldn't believe it.

She could only think back to the very beginning, when William had been theorising what would happen after death. The deaths of several citizens, with those citizens never coming back, basically proved to them that their lives were still valuable and should not be toyed with carelessly.

Then in Secondworld, they'd learnt of the many lives that had been ended at the hands of Lord Yharim or his forces. An unthinkable amount. Their own mortality had never been more clear.

And now... one of their own had fallen in a boss fight. Renee. Robyn still felt like she'd barely known her, as most of the time she'd been nothing more than a faceless rogue, and even after Renee had joined her and Sid, she'd found it hard to trust the rogue. It had only been recently that she'd started respecting her as an ally.

And she'd been a true ally. Unlike Meg, who'd been just putting on an act the whole time. Or William, who had betrayed their relationship by siding with Yharim.

Why did she have to be gone so soon... She knelt down, resting a hand in front of her grave. Renee... if you're listening... know that we won't stop. We're going to go all the way, and put Yharim where he needs to be.

She stood back up and cast glances across Sid and the citizens. Whitney, Amber, Faye, Bart, Cirrus, Roxanne, even Amidias. Renee had been buried in Slimetown. Robyn remembered how her clan had been connected through the Slime God, and how this village had once been their home. It seemed fitting for her to rest here.

Once the funeral had ended, she walked off into the surrounding forest with James the Clothier. After evacuating the citizens, he had actually returned to witness Renee's final sacrificial blow. How she had brought her weapons all the way down the Devourer's length, rending most of the rest of its health away in that one move.

But in doing so, the Devourer had been able to trap her, and there, she had lost hers.

"She died landing the blow that would allow the one who had devoured her master to go down," James said. "And to ensure you and Sid could continue on."

Robyn breathed, wiping another stream of tears from her eyes.

"I don't know if we will be able to continue on. We still have no idea how to open a portal to Firstworld. Sid said we need to find Auric Ore to craft the final piece for the Codebreaker, but there just doesn't seem to be any around. And even if we find some... if the Devourer was that powerful, Yharim's going to be even stronger. And he's got Meg – Calamitas on his side."

And William... she thought, though she dared not say it.

Despite his betrayal, she didn't want to fight him. She remembered when she'd been cursed, when William had had to fight her. Would she have to go through what he'd had to?