chapter 2

Jimin really wasn't trying to be modest. His piano teacher always said that his talent was only mediocre, but his teacher also knew why he was learning piano and thus didn't place much expectations on him.

"What songs did you choose?" Taehyung asked as he flipped through the book. The oldest-looking pages had to be the ones most frequently perused, and he quickly came to a conclusion: "The only one we have in common is the one by Schubert."

As Taehyung was looking through the piano scores, Jimin was observing the other's hands.

Pianists would always automatically take note of other pianist's hands, especially someone like Jimin whose pinky was naturally a bit shorter. This inborn weakness made him particularly mindful of the differences between himself and others.

Taehyung's hands were very pretty, and even though he was only 10 years old, his fingers were already long and neat. If Jimin's piano teacher was here, he'd definitely declare, "Hands made for playing the piano."

"Hey, do you want to go to a music academy in the future?" Taehyung casually asked.

Without any hesitation, Jimin refuted, "No."

Go to a music academy? Might as well kill himself instead!

Starting from 2nd grade, he hasn't had single relaxed summer vacation. For five years, he's had to stay at home practicing monotonous exam pieces again and again, and his passion for piano had long been exhausted by those dry etudes. Now, all he wanted to do was finish passing all the levels, and then never touch the piano again in his life!

Taehyung was a bit surprised. "Then why are you playing piano?" Without waiting for Jimin's response, he answered himself as if suddenly coming to a realization, "I know, you're just learning for fun... But then you wouldn't need to take level exams, since the exam songs are all really boring."

Jimin helplessly confessed, "That's not it, it's to add points to my score."

Taehyung was even more puzzled. "Add points?"

Jimin gave a simple explanation, and Taehyung asked, "Eh? Is that fun for you?"

"It isn't much fun......" Jimin didn't want to pretend, and thus didn't try to hide his dislike of piano. But for some reason, looking at the 'meticulously dressed up' Taehyung, for the first time, Jimin felt ashamed of the reason he learned piano.

The other was dressed so nicely, looking the completely opposite of himself......

Jimin glanced at Taehyung, and after mulling over his apprehension, blurted out, "Aren't you hot wearing that?"

Taehyung looked down and tugged on his bow tie, smiling bitterly, "I didn't want to wear this either, but my teacher said that you have to imagine that every time you play in front of an audience, it's an official performance, and treat it seriously....... Aye, I can't do anything about it being hot."

Strangely, while Taehyung said he was hot, his face was clean and entirely devoid of sweat.

"Examinee #7, Sun Hee," came the robotic voice of the staff member. "#8 Jimin, please prepare as well."

At once, Jimin became nervous and was no longer in the mood to chat with Taehyung anymore. "It's almost my turn."

Chin in hand, Taehyung looked at him and nonchalantly said, "Don't think too much about it. Relax, the judges won't eat you."

Jimin couldn't take those words to heart, and after sitting a while, felt like he needed to go pee. Asking Taehyung to look after his things, he hurried off to the bathroom.

After 10 minutes, Jimin returned, and with all smiles, Taehyung handed back the sheet music as he said, "Good luck."

Jimin: "Thank you."