chapter 3

closing his door, he lied down on his bed and slowly calmed down as Taehyung’s smile once again flitted across his mind.

He thought about how the other leaned close as he said, “Don’t be so modest,” how he raised his eyebrows and smiled wickedly, how his long lashes fluttered as he flipped through the pages of music, and how beautiful his hands looked.

He also recalled the light aroma on the other’s body and that hard to describe haughty air that somehow gave him a misconception of belonging to a lower class—yet at the same time, it ignited an incredible yearning within him.

Because ever since he was young, he had never met someone like Taehyung, someone so, so……

He couldn’t find a better word within his known vocab, therefore, he’ll just use “cool” to describe the other.

Compare to that person, the kids around him were like piles of coal.

And now, he knew how this kind of gap came to be.

It came from the attitude of those people who passed by the front of the music academy, from the tone and unease in his father’s words.

He was only 13, and originally, didn’t need to think about deep subjects like the social hierarchy that exists in society, but the adults had given him such a lesson on the reality of things, compelling him to acknowledge that he and Taehyung were inherently people from two different worlds.

Jimin blinked his eyes, his heart uncomfortable, somewhat unwilling to simply accept this.

Just because his family didn’t have a car and wasn’t able to afford sending him a private school, that meant he and Taehyung couldn’t become friends?

Why?

Under the cool air of the AC, Jimin’s heart felt like it was being crushed by a huge boulder.

Mom came in with a small plate of fruit, and seeing her son motionless on the bed, thought he was still angry.

She lightly sighed, placed the fruit on his table, and softly coaxed, “Little son, don’t think about unnecessary things. Rest a few days, and then if you have time, take a look at the new textbooks. Work hard to keep up your grades in your new middle school, believe in yourself, and in the future, you won’t be inferior to the kids from those kind of families.”

Jimin blinked in bafflement, thinking that his mom’s words were wrong in some way, but when he thought about it, her words did make sense.

He softly acquiesced, sat up, took a look at the sheet music he had yet to put away, and then stuffed them into the piano bench.

Truthfully speaking, earlier, he had still regretted not waiting a little longer for Taehyung, that he didn’t say goodbye.

But now, there really wasn’t a reason to feel regretful, and leaving was clearly the correct decision.

He didn’t realize that amidst various imperceptible influences, his original desire to make a friend had now been twisted into a desire to compete.

A few months later, Jimin  received the certificate for his level-8 exam, and the sheet music for the songs he had played remained where they were, out of sight.

It wasn’t until a year later after he successfully reached level-10 that he found that wrinkled book of level-8 sheet music while organizing his piano scores.

He casually flipped through it, coincidentally turning to the last page of Schubert’s Impromptu, and Jimin discovered to his astonishment that on that page, a line of words had been faintly written in pencil:
Ig: @//thv

Lolol That's real ig of Taetae tsk tsk tsk...