Chapter Three

Tess's POVPhoebe gasps for breath as we stop on our fourth lap of the field

Tess's POV
Phoebe gasps for breath as we stop on our fourth lap of the field. "You smoke, but I always die first," she says. "How the fuck does that work?"

"First off I don't smoke all the time," I say. "The best highs are the edibles. And two, you have forgotten I used to run track."

Phoebe takes out her bottle and starts pouring it down her throat. "By the end of this year, I want to be better than you," she says.

"You can try," I say. "And I'm going to enjoy watching you try."

"Bitch," Phoebe mutters. "Are we done?"

"Sure," I say. "I mean I could've run a couple more laps, but if you're done, I'm done."

She shoves me away and we start walking back to the building. My phone starts vibrating in my pocket and I take it out to see my mum calling me for the umpteenth time. I hang up and put my phone back in my pocket.

"Your mum again?" Phoebe asks.

"Yeah," I sigh. "She's not realising that I'm ignoring her on purpose."

"Why again?" Phoebe asks.

"So we went home for break," I explain. "She full-on went off at me 'cause I was sticking up for Carmen. And she slapped me."

"Jesus, Tess," she says. "What happened with Carmen and her?"

"Carmen could graduate early," I state. "But mum don't want her leaving and screamed at her that she was going away just like dad did."

Phoebe flinches. "Carmen wouldn't have taken that very well."

"She was in tears," I say. "And you know I get protective over her."

Phoebe nods and pats my back. "See you tomorrow morning?"

"Same time?"

She nods and we go our separate ways. I get to my room and stop short when I walk in on Yasmin and Tyler hooking up.

"Oh hey Tess," she says. "Sorry I didn't text you."

"Just heading into the shower anyway," I murmur. I had no idea why she liked him.

He's a fucking jerk to Phoebe.

But I don't control her life. I just told her that if he fucks with her, except a bag of dog shit outside his dorm room.

I take a quick shower and then get out of my dorm. I jump down the stairs and make my way to the courtyard.

I spot my friend Waverley by our usual tree and sneak up on her. She screams bloody murder when I grab her. "Jesus, Tess," she says. "You almost gave me a heart attack."

"Sorry," I say. "But I don't mean it."

"Rude," she huffs. She breaks off a bit of chocolate and hands it to me. I shove it into my mouth and hum.