Chapter Forty One

Gracelyn's POVFinally!

Gracelyn's POV
Finally!

It's the last day of school before Christmas break. Jason and I are spending Christmas Eve with his grandpa to see the big tree lit up and then we are having Christmas lunch with my mum and Beau. Dinner will be with Andrew and his family.

The bell rings signalling the end of class. Mr Peterson dismisses us and I rush out the door. "Gracelyn!?"

I turn and find Damien. Damien and I don't talk ever so I'm honestly surprised he's looking for me. "Hey Fergie," I say. "What's up?"

"Can we talk in private?" He questions. I nod and follow him to a secluded area. He stops and stands there for a couple of seconds. "This is awkward," he says.

"You're telling me," I chuckle. "Is there a reason this is awkward?"

"My mum," he starts. "Aaron and I think dads abusing her."

My stomach plummets. "Is she alright?"

"Honestly no," he answers. "Dad constantly cheats on her and threatens to take her job away if she leaves."

"Jesus Damien," I murmur.

"He got rough with Harley and Aaron," Damien says.

"I heard," I whisper.

"I-I just need to know if I should be looking for any signs?" Damien questions.

"I'm sorry Damien," I murmur. "I was only little when all this happened. What took my mum to leave was when-" I stop talking, taking a calming breath.

"When?" He questions softly.

"My dad hurt me," I whisper, raising an eyebrow.

His gaze softens. "Shit Gracelyn I'm sorry."

I shrug. "It's whatever."

"Do you know Mark?" Damien questions. "The guy on the committee with Abby?"

"Yeah, I know him," I say. "He's in love with Abby."

Damien scoffs. "He's my half-brother."

My eyes widen. "From one of your dad's mistresses?"

Damien hums. "I only found out cause I caught dad and Mark's mum arguing about child support."

"Does your mum know?" I ask.

Damien shakes his head. "Neither does Aaron."

"Maybe you should tell her," I say. "It'll take one thing for her to realize she's not happy."

Damien nods. "Thanks, Gracelyn," he says. "And sorry you had to go through that. You and your mum are strong people. God knows none of us footballers could ever go through what you two did."

"Thanks," I croak. He walks away and I head the other way. I get to my dorm and plop down on my bed. I get out my phone and call my mum.

"Hey baby," she says. "How was your last day?"